Sapphire 290 not being detected by ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3 on boot sometimes

Distorter

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
So I have a weird one here, I am thinking mobo fault with new graphics card may be? But it also has the potential to be the graphics card just wanting some re-assurance on either.

So sporadically(could be cold boot/restart) the motherboard will decide to boot off the IGP(Not being used, nothing plugged in) rather than the PCIE slot. I will know this because it looks like the motherboard is not posting bios but if I plug in a monitor into the IGP ports it displays through there all of a sudden. Once in Windows my 290 is not detected at all. Only the the IGP.

Trying a restart and changing the bios to specifically boot off the PCIE results in this setting not being saved and just booting back to the IGP. I have managed to do a video of it as it is quite bizarre because the bios won't write the change but other changes are saved.
http://youtu.be/5LRYu_ncwwQ

This is when it is working fine:
http://youtu.be/UG8uJzyfmQc

This is why I believe it to be a motherboard fault.

The only way to rectify the problem is to re-seat the graphics card. Once reseated the card is picked up automatically and will proceed to boot and post bios to the PCIE slot.

While this problem is present, you are not able to set the bios to a specify an output device, something is glitching out until the card is reseated into the motherboard.

My previous card was an ATI 7950 which never had this issue.

Any info/help is appreciated!

Distorter

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

If the bios is set to AUTO for the display it will always go to the PCIE if there is a card present. Only if you state to go to IGP will it display on the IGP but I've never used it. Well that's a lie because of this issue I have started using it.

I was going to submit a ticket to ASUS, but I'm expecting them to just to blame the graphics card.

Distorter

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
:-( Happened tonight again with the card in a different slot. What are your thoughts? I'm totally thinking motherboard now, graphics card performs fine and smashes games in the face.

is this only when you boot? I am also thinking motherboard.

Before you go out any buy anything, make sure you get it tested at a repair shop to absolutely confirm that it is the fault, otherwise we do get some very unhappy people.

Distorter

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Restart or cold boot :-S can be either.

There is about 6 months warranty left, yay for Asus and a 3 year warranty but I personally think most probably a bug and needing a bios update which won't happen for a 3 year old motherboard. So will see what happens, submitting RMA tonight.

Google hasn't shown me any other cases, but you never know :-D

Thanks for the reassurance.

Distorter

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
So Asus have accepted the mobo is at fault and will be replacing with another similar LGA1155 board. So I'm happy.