Sign in with
Your question

Samsung EVO 840 performance degradation: poor quality or factory defect?

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2014 8:11:58 AM

Hi all,
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD some moths ago (in March).
I was suspecting a not-super speed but some days ago I got it tested with HD Tune and I was astonished... In the zone used by O.S. and softwares (first 40 Gb) the sequential read speed was around 40MB/s (see screenshot), slowest than my mechanical HDD...
Do you think it is normal for a randomly written data, that the read speed is SO slow for this model? Or it is a factory defect and I just have to get it replaced in RMA?
Before you ask: S.M.A.R.T. values are OK and Samsung Magician says all good and the firmware is the latest.
Thank you!

Screenshot:
a b Ô Samsung
a c 235 G Storage
June 4, 2014 8:45:26 AM

That looks really strange but I'm not sure how relevant that graph is for an SSD. I'm not saying to disregard what it says, I just don't know.

Have you implemented all of the typical SSD Optimizations, like this: http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-gui...

Have you scanned your system with a good AV program and MalwareBytes lately?

Yogi
June 4, 2014 9:29:50 AM

Yes I think everything is optimized and working good also because as you see in the empty zone, the transfer rate is very high (500MB/s), and I repeated the test some times with the same results. If it was for a malware, the results would be random. The partition is aligned correctly (just cheked with as-ssd but I knew it was the default in windows 8.1).
!