Can i Overclock my Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 2.7Ghz to 3.0Ghz

ADMxRain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Can i Overclock my Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 2.7Ghz to 3.0Ghz
my mobo is Asus P5Q SE2
my cpu cooler is the stock fan that comes with the intel cpu
if its ok to overclock to 3.0Ghz is it ok to open the pc for about 4 to 6 hours straight or will it over heat and burn the cpu?

by the way im using the pc right now at 2.7Ghz for about 4 to 6 hours a day
and also i have a small fan about 5" place in front of the mobo for added cooling
'my pc side panel case is open for the small fan'

The only way you can overclock that processor is to increase the FSB (base clock), which you'll find in the BIOS. Bear in mind that increasing this will also overclock just about every other component in your PC, so tread carefully and expect a few BSODs along the way. To compensate for the increased FSB you should also decrease the speed of the RAM.

Overclocking is all about trial and error, so start slow, test regularly and build it up gradually. Take particular care when using the stock cooler.

Download Prime95 and use the SmallFFTs Torture Test to push your CPU cores to 100%. Also download HWMonitor or RealTemp to get an idea of processor temperature. If you get to 80C it's time to back off.

ADMxRain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

is there a exact number of FSB i just want to set it to 3.0Ghz.

The calculation of base clock x multiplier will give you the clock speed. At the moment, your base clock and multiplier are probably set to 100 and 27, making 2700Mhz. Increasing the base clock to 111 will get you as close to 3Ghz as you can get.

111 x 27 = 2997Mhz

ADMxRain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

ah!, how about the one you say about the RAM that i need to decrease?
for example i put "111" for the base clock so the RAM speed will automatically increase too?

Yes, when you increase the FSB you also overclock the RAM, PCIe slots and pretty much everything else. Whilst you can't do much to decrease the speed of most of the components, you should decrease the RAM speed to its next lowest setting. For example, if the RAM speed is at 1600Mhz then you should change it to 1333Mhz. It may be fine at its original speed, however.

Like I said, overclocking is all about trial and error.

ADMxRain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

oh ok thanks!

ADMxRain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

hmm i tried to OC it but when i go to system properties in control panel it says

Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70Ghz 3.39Ghz

it says at 2.70Ghz but besides it is 3.39Ghz

here is the settings
FSB: 250
CPU Ratio: 12.0
DRAM: 800Mhz

Strange, it should report its speed at 3Ghz (250x12). A minor difference would be expected, but what you're seeing is quite substantial.

Try a dxdiag command from the Start menu and see how the processor is being reported. You may also want to download CPU-Z, which will show you how Windows is interpreting the FSB and multiplier.

ADMxRain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

here is the pic of dxdiag and cpu-z
http://oi58.tinypic.com/zwc46.jpg

OK, I'd be happy with the result of the manual calculation and put the differing results down to software interpretation.

Now you should ensure that the overclock is stable and that the CPU temperature doesn't rise too high. You can use Prime95 to run a Small FFTs Torture Test to stress the CPU cores to 100% and HWMonitor or RealTemp to monitor the CPU temperature. Anything below 75C is considered safe.

ADMxRain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

Great!
by the way do i need to set other setting cause i only change the
FSB ,CPU Ratio and DRAM

That's about all you can do. If you start to notice instability then reduce the FSB or RAM speed slightly.