Benefits of OCing MoBo

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
What are the noticeable benefits of overclocking a motherboard? It seems to be increasing in popularity and I'm beginning to consider doing it, but do the effects justify the cost of a cooling block for it?

Naturally opinions will differ, so just a simple pros VS cons answer will suffice for the last question.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I honestly have zero knowledge about overclocking motherboards. I'm not sure what parts get overclocked, why people want to overclock them, the amount of heat typically generated, etc.

Keeno99

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
If you are gaming OC (overclock) is not necessary. You really only want to OC if your doing some super heavy lifting rendering or something like that. It really comes down to your computer parts and what you use your computer for, although I'm not a fan of overclocking. Also you don't really OC your motherboard, you OC your CPU and/or GPU. You just have to make sure that your MB supports OC. Hope this helps :) I'm here if you have questions.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The MB itself does not get overclocked. It is the components that connect to the MB that you can sometimes overclock. That would include the processor, the memory, and the gfx card. Sometimes OC'ing will make the difference between being able to play a game with smooth frame rates or not... most times it is just for the enthusiast to get the most out of his/her components. Like buying a fast car and tuning it to be even faster.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
@clutchc So you can't actually overclock the motherboard itself? Or is there just no practical reason to do so? I think my previous comment was badly worded because I misunderstood your comment. Put simply, I'm somewhat familiar with overclocking GPUs, CPUs, and RAM. I've just seen some water blocks meant to keep the MoBo itself cool, and not the components. That confused me, as I was under the impression that they were overclocking the actual motherboard. When you asked what part of a motherboard I thought I could overclock, I got confused as I thought you meant the parts on the board (IE, capacitors, etc), not main PC components.

Hopefully that clears things up.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

OK. We seem to be talking semantics is all. The MB's components that regulate the voltage, current, and freq will increase as you OC your CPU (for instance). So, yes, to that extent you are kind of indirectly OC'ing the MB too. Same situation when you OC your memory.

The cooling blocks you describe are no doubt for the chipsets and VRMs. I've never gone to that extreme of OC'ing to need to do that.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
"OK. We seem to be talking semantics is all. The MB's components that regulate the voltage, current, and freq will increase as you OC your CPU (for instance). So, yes, to that extent you are kind of indirectly OC'ing the MB too. Same situation when you OC your memory.

The cooling blocks you describe are no doubt for the chipsets and VRMs. I've never gone to that extreme of OC'ing to need to do that."

Thank you very much, that response has allowed me to understand it perfectly.