Electric Car Wheel Generator

leeedle

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
For electric cars, like the Tesla, do they have a generator that provides energy through the spin of the wheel? If they don't, why not? Why can't they add a generator for a few extra miles?

Solution
unksol does have the right answer to it though. Generators are also not a 100% percent efficient as well. It just isn't a practical way to create power having something like that in the power train, excluding regen braking of course. I do think the gm has a good idea with volt by using a gas genset with electric motors. Having an engine running at a steady rpm and constant load is the most fuel efficient way of producing power right now. Now if only they could couple that with the steam power prototype that BMW tried, which used exhaust heat for a steam generator. I have some customers that make flameless heater trailers that do that as well as recycling the heat from the coolant. They have actually gotten the engines to run at a 90%...

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Are you talking about regenerative braking? If so, yes, Tesla vehicles, like most electric cars these days, have some form of regenerative braking, which recharges the battery using energy recovered from the braking system.

leeedle

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

well, isn't that what Tesla wants?

leeedle

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

Yes, I know about regenerative braking, i'm talking about all the time when the wheel spins.

You apparently have no knowledge of physics. In an electric car an electric motor turns the wheel. If you reverse the polarity it is now a generator which creates load and is what happens when regenerative breaking is used to recover energy from momentum.

You obviously cannot actively turn the wheel and generate electricity from it at the same time. You are proposing generating more energy that you put in which is impossible.

leeedle

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

There is no need for that insult. :( Thank you anyways

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
unksol does have the right answer to it though. Generators are also not a 100% percent efficient as well. It just isn't a practical way to create power having something like that in the power train, excluding regen braking of course. I do think the gm has a good idea with volt by using a gas genset with electric motors. Having an engine running at a steady rpm and constant load is the most fuel efficient way of producing power right now. Now if only they could couple that with the steam power prototype that BMW tried, which used exhaust heat for a steam generator. I have some customers that make flameless heater trailers that do that as well as recycling the heat from the coolant. They have actually gotten the engines to run at a 90% efficiency which is insane when you consider most run at around 20%. Just in case you didn't know most of the power from a combustion engine is released in the form of heat.

Solution

joey crofts

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

the motor spins gears which in turn spin the wheel. if another set of gears spin another motor to generate, instead of produce, power it could lengthen the charge span of the battery. battery powers motor>motor spins gears>gears spin wheels>wheels spin different gears>second set of gears spins a generator>generator charges battery

i know this theory at least works because i have this set up on my longboard. Although it doesnt keep the batteries alive forever, it nearly doubled the time i can ride my electric longboard.