What's Your prefered os for phone (app) development? ubantu, window, apple, android.

What's Your prefered os for phone developement? ubantu, window, apple, android.

• Windows metro app development

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Android phone development

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Apple ios phone development

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Ubantu phone development

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
What do you prefer working with:

Apple phone ios (xcode)
Phone for windows (c typescript)
Android smartphone (Java)
Ubantu os (java)

As a hobbyist or developer what's your sole opinion on level of development (and prospect of research and time in overall life cycle.) in either department.

Overall I see a lot commenting on I phone app development being a lot more intuitive. ( given I've never used xcode before.)

I don't do phone development, but I can shed some light here.

One of the tactics that Apple has used to boost the image of iOS is that they forced developers to employ good practices rather than lazy ones. In particular, the use of native code through compiled Objective-C rather than a clunky process VM used in Android (Dalvik). Furthermore, iOS does not provide a garbage collector. Garbage collectors are the domain of the lazy, and are not suitable for memory constrained devices. This is how an iPhone can get away with half of the SDRAM of a comparable Android device, developers are forced to use it more efficiently. The sum of these tactics has led to the App Store being perceived as having higher quality content than Google Play. It also helps that Apple rejects applications that fail to meet certain performance criteria.

I've owned several iPhones and more recently an Android phone. I do enjoy the larger screen of many Android devices but the quality of the software available for them is absolutely abysmal. Chrome, a flagship application for the platform, is clunky and crashy, the Email application is often buggy and broken, the lockscreen is often unresponsive, etc...

Android offers the most freedom, and is easier to use, the one problem is that you need to set it up for multiple devices with different versions, screen sizes, software, etc. It's more open source, though, and I do believe you get more money from Google than Apple from selling apps.