Lapping the cooler and CPU

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Years ago when I built my first computer, there was a lot of talk/threads about lapping the cooler and CPU with a lot of anecdotal stories of great effects and beautiful pictures of work done.

Now I can't even recall when this discussion last occurred. What happened? Was the whole lapping craze full of people with nothing better to do, lies and generally a lot to do about nothing?

I still see references to lapping, now and then. It seems like the more popular "craze" lately is delidding, at least on the Intel side.

Yogi

Comgen

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Well, maybe just do the lapping is not so convenient (if we exclude the fact that you will lose your warranty) the gains depends on the work if it was done well... otherwise temps get even worse.

I know many people who do this coupled with the delid of the CPU (mostly overclockers) especially after that intel has abandoned the solder method and used some crappy thermal interface material...

Actually if done well (the delid) there are some good gains on Ivy Bridge, and crazy gains on Haswell.
The lapping; it still improves the transfer of heat, but as I said the gains depends on the subject skills.
Then the "shiny mirror effect" is mostly a cool thing, nothing more.