Canon T3I vs. Sony RX100ii ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thephilfranke

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hello everyone! I am a amateur video maker who has been filming small things here and there but because of some upcoming projects, I am going to need an upgrade to my camera.

I have been looking at the Sony RX100ii and the Canon T3I, but I am not sure which one I want. I have gone back and forth and I am now seeking advice from others.

Here are the main things I like and dislike about each camera:

Sony RX100ii:
Pros: Extremely Portable, Very Simple Interface, Easy to control certain settings, Can deliver DSLR video quality
Cons: No external microphone port (Not a huge deal, as the microphone I use doesn't need a port)

Canon T3I :
Pros: Interchangeable Lenses , Lots of manual settings**, Great Video quality, Flip out Screen
Cons: Kinda Heavy, Lenses can get expensive
** - One thing I am somewhat worried about is that there are too many manual setting and I won't understand or know how to work the camera

Anyways, those are the main standouts I have on each camera. I would love some feedback or opinions from other and maybe even some actual users of the cameras?

You seem to have done your research which is good!

Based on your observations and my reading of the specs I choose the Canon. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_lens_kit

The 18 - 55 zoom lens will cover over 95% of the occasions where a camera is used. This lens is all you need.

I am a Nikon user and I correlate quality directly by how much it weighs! Might seem odd but it works for me.

If you are interested in a Nikon, take a look at this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856049-REG/Nikon_25492_D3200_DSLR_Camera_With.html

thephilfranke

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Thanks for your reply! So I should get the T3I with the kit lens it comes with? Any other lens suggestions you would recommend?

The Canon T3i with the kit lens, OR, the Nikon D 3200 with the kit lens (my recommendation is the D 3200)

thephilfranke

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Ok, thank you so much! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.