new GPU or new CPU for gaming

ah_adel93

Reputable
May 27, 2014
to play modern games like Watch dogs , Fifa 15 and probably The division , should i get a new CPU like core i5 or maybe fx-8350 ? OR get a new GPU like Radeon R9 or something ?
i have a kind of limited budget , and that 's what i can afford at the moment :??:
my pc specs :
AMD Athlon II X2
ATI hd 6670
MSI 770 C-45
4 gb RAM

Your current system is relativly well balanced.
If you upgrade one, you will probably need to upgrade the other to see benefits.

I would advice to save up and buy when you can get a CPU/MoBo/RAm/GPU/PSU combo. Before that, I belive investing in just one part is not a smart move.

ah_adel93

Reputable
May 27, 2014

umm i am not sure i get it , so if i get a new part maybe a Mobo+ new Cpu ,that would cause bottlenecking ?

First, the GPU. Your GPU and cpu are about the same speed. If you upgrade one of them, the other will hold it back. Probably you will get a small improvment in performance, but it would be small.

Your Ram may begin to be a problem. If you are using 4 GB in 64 bit windows, unless your PC is almost clean in terms of programs running in the background, you might see slowdowns in areas where the HDD has to send the data to the RAM.

Note that If you upgrade the CPU+mobo+GPU its very likely that your old PSU will not have enought power to run them (and be carefull here, if it dosent there is a chance for your PC to get damaged. Make sure you investigate on this and ask in forums. I personally burned 2 Graphics cards once due to having a bad PSU).

However, if you save for some time, assuming prices might drop in a few months, you could get a real performance increase by buying an "almost" new system.

ah_adel93

Reputable
May 27, 2014
how do i know whether the PSU is a good one or not ?
also , if i upgrade the mobo+cpu , i ll get a small improvement , but i'll be able to play games like watch dogs and Fifa 15 (which needs a powerful cpu ) , right ?

First, I can point you to a few PSU units I personally like, but im quite sure there are FAR better informed people than me in the Power supply forums here at toms hardware.
There are 3 rules for a PSU that I follow to make sure its good:

First it needs a minimum ammount of power (in AMPERS not in watts. Companies will give it in watts, good companies give it in both numbers and even explain them well).
Second, it has to be a good brand. Those are, among others: Enermax, thermaltake, corsair, seasonic, etc.
Third, check reviews of the model you want to buy. It should be able to stay cool at 80% load. If it gets too hot, it wont last too long. Also quality componenets are very important.

I doubt you will be able to play watchdogs, but fifa is not a very demanding game from what i heard. You might be able to play it without upgrading.

Watchdogs needs a lot of GPU AND CPU. Fifa, to my knowledge, dosent.

ah_adel93

Reputable
May 27, 2014

Thanks a lot :D u really helped me , i was talking about fifa 15 not 14 btw , it requires a core i5 for ultra .
anyway i may buy a new mobo + cpu and when i get enough cash ill buy a new gpu :)