CPU upgrade for bf4 worth or not ?

bux

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2013
Hi, is it worth to upgrade from 3570k to 3770k ? i play bf4 mostly + i guess newer games r gonna like more than 4 cores.. or is it better to buy better gpu hardware atm?
my current gpu is Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC with Boost , mobo GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H - Intel Z77 , also i am planning to buy a better cpu cooler - i like Noctua NH-U9B SE2 or can u recommend me a decent one ? cpu cooler price around 70usd , this is my pc case CoolerMaster Elite 370

halfblazed

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
No, You really won't see a considerable performance gain from upgrading your CPU to an i7.

You are much better off upgrading your GPU to a current generation.

Nvidia and AMD both have some amazing cards out right now, especially in the 300$ price range.

As far a CPU coolers go, I think the closed loop systems (h80/100 etc) are really nice and make it easier to work on your PC compared to a huge air cooler, but that really comes down to preference.

Eggz

Distinguished
The i7 will actually help you in newer games. Several of the new titles coming out recommend an i7, though it isn't necessary. Either way, the CPU you have is still pretty good. The money that you would have spent on the 4770k + the H100i will get you a very nice GPU, especially compared to the one you have now. That will give you a much more tangible performance boost than the CPU will. I'd recommend upgrading in cycles. Get a sick GPU now if you have the money, and then in about a year, get a really good CPU.

As a side point, the current CPU and chipset platforms are not worth buying into at the high-end right now. Things are changing a lot. The basic cables and plugs that connect fundamental parts are in the process of being upgraded in ways that haven't been done for nearly a decade (e.g. PCI-e storage like M.2 and SATA-e). Best to let that stuff mature while you enjoy your new GPU and then buy into it when there are more options available on the market in about a year or so. Take a look at this article on the new storage that's just starting to come out. They got a single (i.e. non-RAID) drive to hit 1.4 GB/s!): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-xp941-z97-pci-express,3826.html

On top of that, there will be DDR4 and a host of other things, so that's definitely worth considering when you're deciding whether to put your money into a CPU or a GPU.

Good luck!

logainofhades

Titan
Your HD 7950 is about equal to an R9 280. Depending on your power supply, you might just be better off getting another one for crossfire. Anything less than an R9 290 would be a waste of money for a single card config. Selling your 7950 and getting an R9 290 or 290x is an option as well.

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Don't get a new gpu unless you can get something like a 780. Your current gpu isn't last gen hardware, the new r9 2xx series are just rebranded 7xxx series gpus. It isn't worth upgrading unless you can go really high end, like 290/290x.

logainofhades

Titan

Yea, 290 would be my pick on price/performance basis, in a single card setup upgrade. Just make sure to get one without the reference cooler.

bux

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2013
ok thnx, from ur answers ( and u r right ), fps wise i ll be better with stronger gpu right now, but i found 3770k cpu for very good price so iam going for it, later on when i have some money saved, i ll go for r9 290x, i ll make new thread here so u can advise me cool and not that loud one :)