Can I mix a 2gb ram stick with a 4gb one?

hi everyone

well this is the case I really hope that someone can help me with this mi motherboard is a biostar g41d3+ with dual channels ddr3 on it so I had 2gb of ram before but after some time I started to notice some slow performance when doing multitasking and stuff like that so I got 4gb of ram to add to my main built thinking that I would have a pc with 6gb at the end but now I have only according to windows 7 64 bits 3.50 gb that I can use it recognize the 6gb but only let me use 3,50gb I already tried the msconfig process but the same thing happened.
is there any way for my to use both of them getting the 6gb at the end? they are obviously of different sizes even the physical shape is different one is thinner than the other I read something about modify the voltage the speed and latency on the bios to make them work but I dont know how to do that please guys if anyone know how to fix this please please help me
3 answers Last reply
More about mix 2gb ram stick 4gb
  1. Are you sure you have an x64 OS or an x86.

first is to use one stick of ram, check if the OS will detect the full 4gb ram if used alone.
  2. plaintuts said:
    Are you sure you have an x64 OS or an x86.

first is to use one stick of ram, check if the OS will detect the full 4gb ram if used alone.

ummm it says windows 7 64 bits but when I check on my pc says x86 is that a problem?
    also if I enable the memory remap on the bios it recognize the 6gb but windows gets stuck on the starting page
    I will try with a single stick and see what happen thank you for the answer.
  3. X86 is the type of CPU, you have 64bit OS, think plaintuts was thinking a problem if it's a 32bit OS, try with the 4GB in slot 1 closest to CPU, then if OK there, try adding the the 2 GB, if any problems and there may well be give me a shout with the mobo, CPU and model #s of the DRAM
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Memory