• Get GTX 770+than buy 2nd for SLI

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Another GPU (AMD, or Russian Vodka!)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Daniel K

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
Ok, I know there are a lot of questions about different upgrades, but I looked trough many and still did not find satisfying answer. Please help with your opinions and set me on the right path=) Ty in advance. +English not my native tongue...
I have GTX 470 a beast of a past, and now its been hard for this gpu to play some games such as BF4, Metro, Watch Dogs and etc. I am also looking to play Witcher 3, Civ:BE on 1080 with maybe 2x MSAA. Main problem is that my GTX470 is slowly dying and idk if I want to wait another 6 months or so till 800 series. I was wandering if GTX 770 4gb Windforce will be sufficient to do so+ in the future I could add anther card to run 2 cards in SLI. Also another opinion question, I know there are no specs yet, but will 770 Sli outperform GTX 880? Uhh..y cant Nvidia release 800....:(

Computersloeber

Distinguished
Russian Vodka anytime,
I would say if you really need a new card buy it now, don't wait for new cards to come out unless it is very soon (I don't know when the 800 series will come out some say soon some say 2015). A Gtx 770 4gb now and another one later for SLI will give you very good performance, a single one will be sufficient for now you need to add one in about half a year or a year.

KryssNova

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Hey.
Get GTX 770 (important, get 4gb version) now, and get 2nd for SLI later.
Cause 2GB VRAM is already not enough on Ultra/High settings already, even on 1080p, good examples BF4 and Watch Dogs.
Even more so 4GB version, if you're planning to do an SLI with 770's, cause otherwise combined GPU horsepower would be bottlenecked by the VRAM.
Also waiting 6 months when your card is already struggling now, it's not an good option.
Mostly because there is always some new good stuff coming around the corner, and really waiting infinity is frustrating.
Release date of 800 series is 6 months in positive view, supposedly (very possible) it can take even longer, until late Q1 2015 or even Q2 2015.
Regarding 880, it can be roughly 20%-35% faster than single 770, so SLI 770 would easily outperform single 880.

Still there are some games and applications that work better with Single GPU (in meaning that SLI creates errors or bugs in that game or application) or some even that does not support SLI.
So you could be forced to play on single card in some cases, instead of utilizing your SLI.
Therefore it is usually recommended to get Single faster card over SLI (well there are also some other factors to that, like wattage and heat, etc., but we talk performance wise here)

Yet, I would still recommend you the 770 4gb SLI, it's totally better performance/price/overtime usage - ratio than single 880.
Considering there isn't confirmed price on GTX x80 model of the card, looking at what nVidia did with 780 and Titan in 700-series.
It could as well be priced at 650$ instead of the usual 500$ for the model or even higher, where as the already 500$ would get wore price/performance ratio over SLI 770 4GB (even more so when you plan to get 2nd 770, later one, since price will drop some more).

I hope my post helped you to understand your situation and reasoning behind my opinion.
I wish you good luck with your choice.

Still if you got enough for 770 4gb version, why not go for the GTX 780 3GB.
Not sure bout that 4gb vs 3gb though, but well since the High End version 800-series are coming with at least 4gb VRAM it has to mean something.