2 identical computers 1 ethernet cable 2 different ethernet speeds

Jul 18, 2013
Hey all..

My ethernet speed is very different from 1 pc to another 1. It is the same cable and it is 2 identical MCB pro but i get 2 different speeds. The one can get 145Mbit and the other only 90Mbit. I got a 150/15 broadband. So what can the problem be. ???

Jul 18, 2013

i tried to use my other pc. It is another cable but that is also only at 94Mbit. And the Ethernet card supports up to 1000Mbit. :/

USAFRet

Titan
Some device in there is restricting it to just below 100Mbps.

PC 1 gets the max speed of ~150Mbps
PC 2 gets ~100Mbps.

Have you swapped the cables (with no other changes) between the two and see if the problem follows? Or does the issue stay with PC 2?

USAFRet

Titan

So:
With the first MBP, the problem follow the cable. That would indicate some issue with the cable, or that particular cable connects to some 10/100 device in the middle.

However...adding in the second MBP only getting 100Mbps with either cable - that indicates an issue with that particular computer. LAN adapter or driver.

Jul 18, 2013
but with a third computer on both cables.. That pc does also only get around 100 Mbps on both.. so how can the 1 computer reach 150Mbps as the only one, when all 3 pc's support over 150 Mbps. Third Pc is Windows :)

USAFRet

Titan
Is this essentially correct?
7WwhisI.png

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming good quality cable, 20 meters is fine. I've asked the collective Moderator mind. Let's see if that have any insights.

USAFRet

Titan

And, if at the router, we switch from Port 1 to port 2?
The issue stays with the PC, or with the cable and port?

Is this a wireless router, and is there any wireless device attached (possibly including an unwelcome leech)?
Traffic will slow to the slowest device, and it could possibly be something wireless.