Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz vs Core i5 4670K 3.4 GHz?

If you were me, what would you buy?

• Intel Core i7 4790

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Intel Core i5 4670K

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Boyan Kushlev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
So I want to build a new PC configuration, and I'm absolutely sure I want to stick to Intel CPUs. However, I'm still hesitating between the i5 and the i7. I'm particularly interested in the model mentioned in the title. Cpuboss has ranked the i7 a little higher than the i5 (9.1 vs 8.7), and the major benefit of the i5 is that it is unlocked and allowing better overclocking in the future if needed. However, I'm not a huge overclocking fan, since I overclocked my current processor (a dual core Pentium from 2.8 to 3.2 GHz) and I didn't recognize any change in performance, only the slight increase in core temperature. So I don't really plan on overclocking my processor, but it is always good if I have this option. I really prefer the i7 due to the better performance or even due to the fact that it is "i7" and sounds better and more professional. As a future Computer Science student, I generally need my computer for programming and web design, and I'm not required to get a top-notch processor, but I know that if I have a better machine, I'll definitely use it for gaming too (Watch Dogs, Bioshock, GTA V (let's hope!) are all great games), so I really prefer better performance (for a reasonable price of course). So naturally, I'd go with the i7, but here comes the tricky part. Here in Bulgaria the i5 costs about 175 pounds and the i7 is 230 pounds, which is a big difference in terms of the local standard (the mean monthly salary is about 350 pounds). I might be willing to pay the difference in favor of the i7, but if you guys have reasonable arguments to dissuade me I may change my mind.

Thank you in advance for you comments/advice!

P.S. I'm planning to get an nVidia GTX 750 2GB GDDR5 or a similar GPU.

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
The i5 4670k would match your graphics card even better, and you might even consider a xeon e3 1230v3. It is a xeon yes - but not directly for servers, works like a dream in normal desktops like a gaming rig. The downside is that you loose the integrated graphics(intel hd 4400/4600 is not in it), and you cant overclock. Has slightlty lower tdp than i5/i7 - better power.
If you do gaming, i think you should spend your money on the xeon, and have some more for a slightly better graphics card.

Hagaxe

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Personally I would preorder a i7-4790k instead of taking a i7-4790.
a 4790k would last longer without being outdated.

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

He said he wasnt a huge fan of overclocking, but yes that could be an alternative too. The thing is he then would need cooling for overclocking, ending up costing even more - but if he can afford it, it will be better. of course he would need cooling for the 4670k as well though.

I dont see the point of getting an i7 4790 if you have the choice of the xeon e3 1230v3, as it is almost like an i7, just with no graphics, has lower tdp, and almost same clocks(slightlty lower.

Boyan Kushlev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I'm a little reluctant to buy a Xeon because the socket is uncommon, and I don't think I would find a suitable motherboard very easily. Also, according to benchmarks the Intel XEON E3-1231 V3 (I couldn't find the 1230v3 in local stores) doesn't perform as well as the i7 4790, and it is only slightly cheaper (about 20 pounds less).

If you don't want to overclock, then grab the i7. You'd be wasting what makes the i5 k series good if you didn't overclock, when you could instead have the hyperthreading of the i7 that you would use.

Remember that to overclock the i5 you'd also want a Z series motherboard, and also a decent aftermarket CPU cooler. All of which add to the cost.

At stock settings, the i7 would outperform a stock i5. Since you're not overclocking, I think the i7 is the obvious choice. However, the GTX 750 is quite a weak GPU, if you are looking to game I'd go for something a little stronger.

Boyan Kushlev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I might consider buying a cheaper CPU such as the i5 4670 (not the K version), and invest the rest of the budget in a better GPU, or even an SSD...

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Well, the xeons fits in almost any consumer board, msi, asus, gigabyte. Look at the websites of the monitor manufactorer. The 1231 is the haswell refresh, more expensive than the 1230. Also, it shouldnt perform much worse than the i7 as it is only 200mhz slower.

Boyan Kushlev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I agree that the Xeon seems pretty good, but I'm just hesitant because the Xeons, as I found out, are meant to be server processors. I'm not very well-informed on the subject, so I've got to ask is the Xeon will perform as well as even the i5 4670K, since it doesn't have integrated graphics, but on the other hand, it has 8 threads and more cache. (I'm a person who makes up his mind extremely difficultly! :D)

P.S. About the CPU socket. I got confused between 1150 and LGA 1150 and thought that they were different sockets... This is what happens when you haven't upgraded your PC since 2009 when having a Core 2 Quad CPU was a big deal, and the i7s were just being released. Technology does develop in immense rates...

Those Xeons are not server processors, but workstation/desktop processors. Re-named i7's, without the integrated graphics (disabled on any CPU when you have a dedicated video card, which you plan to).

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

Yea, 1150 and lga 1150 - no difference. different names for the same socket about sums it up.
The xeon will not perform closer to the i5, more like an i7 instead. The only "bad" thing about it is that it has lower clocks than the i7, and has no integrated graphics which can be a bit of a pain for troubleshooting or if not going for a graphics card (but fx and extreme users have lived with it for a long time).

Boyan Kushlev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
OK, so I've taken some time to check out what my local stores offer, and here's the deal: the Xeon 1231 v3 is exactly in the middle between the i5 4670K and the i7 4790 in terms of prices. So the Xeon does have more threads than the i5, which is an advantage, but the i7 is clocked higher than the Xeon. On the other hand, the Xeon doesn't have IGP, and I read that on some MOBOs it is possible to make the IGP and the dedicated card work together. Is this really true, and if so, does it make a difference in the overall graphic performance if I use both the IGP and the dedicated card, or not. Because if not, I'm gonna get the Xeon 1231. But if there is a difference, I might consider the i7...

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
On zero motherboards, you will be able to crossfire/sli/mix the intel graphics with the nvidia and amd graphics. It simply doesnt work. Even if modding would do it, it would have no support, and not be good.
The xeon is clocked slightly lower than the i7 yes, but ask yourself - do you need another 200mhz? If you do - sure go for the i7. If you think it would be clever to just go with better price, go xeon.

My opinion - 1231v3 clear winner as long as its cheaper and you dont use integrated graphics.
However - Only if you are using integrated graphics, you should go for the i7(and of course if you need the slight advantage of simple 200mhz more.

Daeranystle

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
Depends, really.
I'd go with the Xeon mentioned above, altought since you did narrow this down to i7 and i5 here is goes.

i5 is more than needed for gaming, period it can handle every game perfectly, having it unlocked is perfect for overclock even tho you don't want to do it just now, it's always good for future proof. So, yes, i5 is really good. The single core performance is above avarage and handles pretty well every situation, gaming related.

i7, well, it has HyperThreading, and still a very good single core performance, but as said what matters here is the Hyperthreading function. I'd only go with this CPU over the i5 if I was planning to stream or video-editing, the Hyperthreading makes both of the situations go smooth as f***, sorry for the language, but is appropriated as hell.

But then again, if you're just looking for daily task as internet browsing or gaming. Go for the i5, is perfect, and cheaper, so you can take the money you saved and invest it in a better GPU/PSU/MoBo/Cooler (for future overclock) - As said OC for future proof.

If you choose the i5 I'd recommend you a Z87 (MoBo)
If you go for the i7, rather get a Z97 (MoBo), better if either way you can go for an Asus one.

So, i5 either for strict gaming.
i7 if you plan to do stream or video-editing.

A good air-cooler would be Master Cooler Hyper 212 Evo. Can handle all the situations perfectly!

Hope I helped you; As said I'll vote for the i5.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

+1 its just an i7, ignore the name and get an i7 for cheaper. :)

Boyan Kushlev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
OK, I think I'll go with the Xeon 1231! However, I plan to buy the components not until the end of the month, and if the price of the i7 falls (although it's not expected) I'll sacrifice a few bucks for the 200 MHz. :D Thanks a lot everybody!

Daeranystle

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014

Just an addon, if you don't plan to stream/video-editing save yourself some money, buy the i5, and invest the difference in a better GPU.

Good Luck mate!