• wait for k-series Broadwell

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • be more patient and wait for Skylake

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

vanja_mileski

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hi everybody, so I have been itching to upgrade to DC i7 4790k since it was announced, I currently have an i5 2500k overclocked at 4.7 GHz.

My question is, do you think it is a smart choice to upgrade now (when it will be available) or wait until Broadwell k series comes out (5770k)? Skylake is kinda too far to wait imo, but i will be a bit disappointed if Broadwell brings much better clocks and better overclocking versus the "made for ocing" DCs 6 months later.

The main things I use my PC for is gaming, programming and video rendering, and soon I will start game making.

Hevatroid

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

You would see an increase in performance if you upgrade to Devil's Canyon but it won't be a huge step up. Honestly, I would wait for Boadwell or even Skylake to come out before you upgrade.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Usually on this forum, we wouldn't recommend you wait since there will always be something new being released. It's better to upgrade when you want, since newer technology will always be released. However in your instance, you already have a Sandy Bridge i5 overclocked to 4.7GHz, and I'm assuming it's stable; as a result you may not get a major performance boost if you upgrade now.

Broadwell will use the current 1150 socket, on which Haswell was released. If you wait for Skylake, it'll be on a newer socket, 1151. At that point, the successor of Skylake, Cannonlake will also utilise the same 1151 socket; leaving room for upgrades in the future, and hopefully those upgrades should provide a performance boost over your current setup. With that said, certain socket 1151 motherboards will support DDR4 RAM; hence waiting in this instance could prove to be a better investment for you.

Personally in my opinion I would wait it out, but if you're eager to upgrade, it's completely your choice. Your current setup is not outdated or lacking in performance by any means, especially as your CPU is overclocked to 4.7GHz. Of course, as mentioned if you desire to upgrade, you should go for it, it's completely your choice and call.

All the best. :)

This is totally my opinion! And we all know everyone has one, along with other parts of our anatomy! :)

Since you are an overclocker, Devils Canyon could be a good step for you, but I would encourage waiting until some of the more experienced overclockers get their hands on it, to really see what it can do.

The engineering sample Chris had to do his review, may not have even been a good overclocker out of the batch anyway.

Plus they always stay on the safe side when they overclock for a review, because they normally get to keep what they review.

When you look at the performance charts they don't seem too impressive, but remember, he was using air cooling.

Devils Canyon won't even be released until June 25th anyway, so there's absolutely no hurry.

I suggest waiting to see what Devils Canyon can really do overclocked and what kind of load temperatures it yields, (Because it is supposed to be better in that area!), as the other releases Broadwell and Skylake are still a ways off

Is there anything your 2500K is falling short on your expectations now?

vanja_mileski

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Yeah, I will most definitely wait and see how are the overclocking capabilities of the DC when it is released, when a much wider audience has them, but I've been reading DC forums and many people that have 2600k and 2500k said that they will also wait.

My 2500k is actually pretty sweet, but my motherboard not so much. Basically you can only set an offset voltage and multiplier, and you cannot even choose different LLC levels, so i have it at 1.399 volts and now during the summer its 55 °C on idle with hyper 212 evo and on stress tests after a while it drops out of turbo because it is reaching its max temp.

So yeah, my "problems" seem to be easily fixed with an old-new mobo and a water cooling but I would rather save that money for a new chip. Oh, and if I buy DC, I am sure that at least for one year I will be running it on 4.5 on all cores, I will not be disappointed if it cannot reach the 5GHz frequency that everybody seem to want, I'm more interested in the hyper threading and the return of VT-d.

To be honest, my plan was to buy DC now and then after 2-3 years to jump on cannonlake :p

logainofhades

Titan
My 3570k is only at 4.0ghz, and I have yet felt the need to upgrade. Been debating on trying to push it higher. Saw a guide for my CPU and motherboard combo online for 4.5ghz. If I can achieve that, I definitely have no need for anything till Skylake. I want a 1230v3 mini-itx rig, but have no need of one.