Horizontally mounting cases like the Coolermaster Haf XB Evo

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I'm looking for a case that mounts a motherboard horizontally. I'm going from a Bitfenix Prodigy to a SLI build so I need a micro or full atx board. The XB mounts both micro atx and full atx horizontally and has a removable motherboard tray. It seems perfect, but I want to check whether there's anything better on the market.

Only the XB evo seems to be available from where I live. Are there any major differences between the regular and evo? I heard they made changes to the x-dock (hot swappable bay). I don't mind micro atx, but there is more spacing between the cards with a regular atx, more expandability and the boards are usually cheaper. Am I overlooking some micro atx benefits? I was going to buy a maximus vii ranger and devil's canyon when it comes out. Will I have compatibility issues using a NH D14 and corsair dominator platinum ram?

Sorry for rambling. My main question is whether there is a case that does a better job than the HAF XB Evo. It needs to
>be able to mount a micro/regular atx horizontally
>have hot swappable drives (not essential)
>have a removable motherboard tray (not essential)
>have room for a large cpu cooler

I would prefer silence over airflow, if it still ticks all the boxes. I would also prefer a better front panel, i.e. metal or some other premium material.

DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014

I also tried making a thread about this. Pretty much, this chassis is the only one that has the Main features that is actually good.

BUT there is one alternative: Aerocool Strike-X Air.

One hell of a good alternative, just like CM, is has a horizontal full-size atx orientation, Great airflow, and Is virtually compatible with any kind of cooler you can find. Even that big ass Nofan CR-95 air cooler. It is vary unique and is one of the only Open Air chassis's in the market. Very cool looking too. But it doesn't have hot swaps though. And it looks so good that I might buy this for my first build.

But I have second thoughts though: Some or most of the reviews say that it is mostly a gimmic. Once, I saw one in my school (said to be brought by a student for a project) and it looked absolutely beautiful. But analysing it, the big fan panel mesh on top is not so strong. I thought it was supposed to be used for a laptop stand, but it bends so easily. If you apply force to the corner, it'll twist. Risky and snappable.

There still are still 5 inch bays though, but not straight down. And installing the PSU according to the review, needs some screws and a special cover to put in. So it is a little bit of a fuss. But cable management is pretty good. The case is also known to be a dust magnet, but this doesn't matter, for the fact that that it doesn't have a cover, you could just blow it away.

So to put it simply, you have another choice with an ATX in it. But despite this, I would recommend sticking to the HAF XB for its safety. Because if you drop something like a broomstick or a lamp, you could risk ruining the components, probably creating a dent on the heatsink on the Strike x Air. Besides, I am still considering the Aerocool. So the choice is yours!

P.S. I found an alternative to your Noctua: Cryorig R1Universal. Despite being a new brand, it is so good, it even beats the Noctua D15's temps, is cheaper (slightly), has great RAM clearence, and looks good at it. And for your GPU, check out the NZXT Kraken G10. Makes AIO coolers compatible with graphics cards, making performance of a liquid cooling kit at a cheaper price. Also, The HAF is very compatible because you wont have problems connecting your AIO radiator even if the piping is short.

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Thanks. Now I'm conflicted. I want a case that's easy to install like the HAF XB, but I'm also interested in the Fractal Design R4 which is the polar opposite, sacrificing airflow for noise cancellation.

I'm interested in the silence, but I also want a window or some way to see the inside of the case, which may increase the noise.

I like the clean look of the R4. For me in terms of looks, it goes Define R4, HAF XB, Strike X. However, there's the vertical mounting issue with the R4, the weight of the CPU/GPU coolers and the airflow. What's your opinion on this?

DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014
Code:

Well, to me, you should think into the ease of use. Coincidentaly, I was also thinking of that, but I was into cooling as well.

BUT if you want the best of both worlds, you could get the NZXT H440. As much it is silent, it is one of the most beautiful cases, and said to beat the R4. It has a window, yet has silencing pads around it. And if you see the insides of the case, there is that little box in the bottom. And that is a MASSIVE box of cable management increasing the ease if use. But to keep clean looks, there are no 5 inch bays... But 3 fans in front instead! (One is also included in the rear)

And you can get all of this of this for 20 dollars more than the HAF XB. Pretty bang for buck. Check it out here:

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/143-h440-performance-mid-tower.html

And here is a video from Linus (if you dont know about him, he is one hell of an great reviewer. Subhim and his other channels like NCIX, etc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqz5WAU9iJg

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Thanks. The h440 looks nice. Shame about the 5.25 bay. Unfortunately the build fell through so I have to stick to my bitfenix prodigy.

DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014
Oh well, at least you get an idea of what case to buy when you can rebuild, well, the build. Anyways, if you need help, just tell me. Bye!