New Gaming Monitor for Man Cave - Please help!

JuLGzFz

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Hello fellow Pc aficionados

Please help me choose a 27" Monitor, oh forum experts!

First of all, my PC (currently updating) is as follows:

CPU: i5-4570
GPU: Asus GTX 660 2GB GDDR5
RAM: CORSAIR 2x4GB 1600Mhz
PSU: AEROCOOL 600W BRONZE
SSD: SAMSUNG 2.5 128GB SERIE 840 PRO
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB

My 7 year old 720p 27 LG TV is no longer "doing the job", and after years of awesome service, It's time for a change.

What do I plan to do with the Display?

1. Mouse and keyboard PC Gaming (Strategy games, CIV, FM and such)
2. Couch Gamepad PC Gaming (RPG's, FIFA, and non-competitive FPS)
3. TV and Multimedia player (Man Cave TV, main is kidnapped by Wife/Kids)
4. PS4 secondary screen (when Main TV is kidnapped)

How far of the screen do I sit?

Quite close, I have a couch at around 1.5meters (5 feet) and a desk just behind it, at around 2meters (6,5 feet). I use the table for traditional mouse and keybard gaming, and usually move the TV/monitor closer to me.

Doubts, terrible doubts!

1. Will my sytem handle 1440p just fine? Should I stick to 1080p and ensure high FPS?
2. Will my PS4 show any upscaling problems with a 1440p monitor?

My options right now:

No Newegg here in Spain... cheapest store is "PcComponentes".
Filtering by 27" and IPS technology several options appear:

http://www.pccomponentes.com/monitores/27_pulgadas/ips/order/precio/

Tomsharware expert forum members, please enlighten me and help me choose the best option!

Thanks in advance for your help and patience, you lot are simply the best pc community around.

JuLGzFz

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks, Yuno!

In that case, should I stick to a good IPS 1080p monitor? Playing in non-standard resolution can create some upscaling problems right?

And, do you recommend any particular monitor taking in count my needs?

Thanks for your help!

JuLGzFz

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks Yuno

My only doubts regarding buying a 1080p monitor is it will become obsolete in, let's say, 2 years with the rise of popularity of 1440p gaming/monitors/gpu

Is buying a 1080p monitor a good deal nowdays if planning to keep it for 5 years or so?

http://www.pccomponentes.com/asus_mx279h_27__led_ips.html

My only doubts regarding buying a 1080p monitor is it will become obsolete in, let's say, 2 years with the rise of popularity of 1440p gaming/monitors/gpu

To run 1440P you have to have the rest of the system capable of producing 1440P.

Even if you're using it for TV playback many make the mistake of thinking they need to go beyond 1080P when most of the TV signal providers are just getting it right with 1080P, and that's not covering what your computer itself is graphics capable of delivering to the monitor.

If a monitor has to up convert the signal, there will be a slight response delay which will suck when it comes to smooth gameplay.

My monitor suggestion has a 5ms response and is great for gaming, I know because I own one myself.