WD Passport 2TB Problem

Jenko7000

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
My WD My Passport 2TB External Hard-drive has stopped working.
Symptom's are as follows = When plugged into my Macbook Pro the drives starts to spin up and the white light starts to flash (quiet fast) but nothing actually boots up on the Mac, after about 60 seconds the Hard drive will make a click sound and the drive stops running. It then will repeat the proses 2 to 3 times and then just stop running. The whole time the wight light will continue to flash.
I have opened the outer case to reveal the Hard drive and there is no visible damage to any of the board or casing. To my knowledge the drive has not been dropped.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Best Regards and thanks in advance.

If it is a clicking sound you are hearing then it is possible the drive is dying or is dead. If the drive is under warranty you may want to consider doing as trekzone suggested and RMA the drive. If the drive is out of warranty you could try removing the drive from the case and connecting it externally via a drive dock or SATA to USB cable.

awalters

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
If your MBP uses USB 3.0 you might have the same problem many others are having with this interface. Have you tried plugging the drive into a USB 2.0 port somewhere, like on another PC or Mac you may have? I've found that USB 2.0 works perfectly fine but doesnt even get detected by my PC laptop nor Macbook Air that have USB 3.0 ports.