NewEgg vs Amazon Return Policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerBro10

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
I am building my first computer and I was wondering which of the two retailers, NewEgg or Amazon, have better customer service and a better return policy in the event I receive a damaged product and have to RMA it? It is slightly cheaper to purchase my build through Amazon and I can get free shipping at either NewEgg or Amazon but I would be happy to buy from NewEgg if their return policy is significantly better compared to Amazon. So which retailer is better in your opinion and why? Thanks!

Solution
My vote goes to Amazon

I now avoid Newegg because of a restocking charge and two shipping charges I incurred due to a defective USB stick. I had to pay to return the first defective stick, then the replacementwas also defective, so I asked for a refund, which cost me 15% and another shipping fee. What a ridiculous policy! For that 15%, they've lost a customer.

I once purchased a mouse that broken down on me after 6 months. I already threw away the box and long since lost the original invoice that came with it. Contacted Amazon CS, and they promptly e-mailed me a pre-paid return label w/ instructions to return the defective unit to them, and sent me a new replacement unit.

Ravi Gagan

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
My vote goes to Amazon

I now avoid Newegg because of a restocking charge and two shipping charges I incurred due to a defective USB stick. I had to pay to return the first defective stick, then the replacementwas also defective, so I asked for a refund, which cost me 15% and another shipping fee. What a ridiculous policy! For that 15%, they've lost a customer.

I once purchased a mouse that broken down on me after 6 months. I already threw away the box and long since lost the original invoice that came with it. Contacted Amazon CS, and they promptly e-mailed me a pre-paid return label w/ instructions to return the defective unit to them, and sent me a new replacement unit.

Solution

GamerBro10

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Reading through some of the reviews with Amazon it seems that there is a common occurrence for items listed as new and being shipped/sold by Amazon to arrive used/restocked/returned. Have you had any of those problems?

NeweggSupport

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Hi Ravi,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with these returns. Newegg can actually provide you with a pre-paid shipping label for defective items; moreover, the restocking fee should not apply for returns of defective products.

Would you please email us your account information to wecare@newegg.com and reference Tom's Hardware? We will be happy to review the details of the returns and the find options to have this situation resolved.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Newegg Support

Joshua D

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

Imma let you finish, but...

I had a problem with Newegg where I got a box that looked like a hobo had lived in it for 6 months, died, was removed, and the box reused to send me $800 worth of computer components. Now, before you go blaming UPS (cause they probably didn't help), the box wasn't even labeled as a Newegg box. I contacted Newegg about an RMA. They paid for 2 day shipping on the return. 5 days later it made it back. So, yeah, no more Newegg for me! Go with Amazon Prime, and you can get it next day air for around $8-10. Well worth it considering exchanges and the return policy.

http://i.imgur.com/AAfmZMF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QlxMy61.jpg?1

By the way: the motherboard was on the bottom of the box. Just a few airbags between the other items (processor box just floatin around in there, too).

ankitnagpal

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

As if Newegg cares about losing a customer like you who causes a loss to them and also whines about shipping fee. You should have read return policy before buying the item. And in my opinion, the customer should bear the shipping fee because the company is already making a loss on accepting a return. You should be happy that they took the item back without asking any question.

It is like asking Walmart to compensate for the gas spent on travelling home to Walmart store when returning an item.

taltamir

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

He returned DEFECTIVE USB sticks. Unless he is a liar and they were perfectly fine USB sticks and he was using it as an excuse then he is a great customer and they are sorry to both lose him and also get the bad rep.

and they deserve it. newegg used to be the best service. but not anymore, definitely not comparable to amazon now.

Status
Not open for further replies.