Mechanical Keyboard Suggestions

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm not a fan of Tom's Hrdware, I come around when things get tough, and my own personal research starts getting cloudy, and really just difficult to perceive through. I'm looking for a good mechanical keyboard. Quality wise, but I'm a bit torn.

For the price I honestly want something to last 3 years at minimum. I've heard of it all, SteelSeries, Razer, Corsair.. Duck? I cam't remember. A lot of these keyboards get bashed, but at the same time, they get incredibly attention from the community as being great.

I'm a gamer, but also a writer. The Das Ultimate took my attention, but I'm very picky on the aesthetics of my keyboard. Both the Das Ultimate, and Razer Blackwidow Ultimate are identical in pricepoint.

As someone who types a lot, and doing so on their dying keyboard, so apologies if any errors get out, that I fail to correct. I'm wondering of any keyboard, or specific just the two I mentioned. I'm looking for a good quality keyboard. If it has programmable macros, and extra buttons great.

Backlights are a plus, but not required they get those extra points for "oooh pretty" Which I gotta say asre great. I'm almost sold on the Blackwidow right now based on the reception for the 2014 edition.

As I said, many other keyboards have poor reviews, and there's also that unlucky person who orders and just happens to get pretty bad luck on the keyboard. The thickness to the blackwidow ultimate's cable is well desired. It makes the idea and concept of the wire being broken by abuse much easier. Although there are other concerns.

Even a normal keyboard's usb cable is thick enough to wistand much abuse and movement. I treat my keyboard and mouse like crap. Despite the keyboard being the most mandatory part of my computer. I can live without a mouse, but not a keyboard. I need something that won't explode just by being dropped once or twice.

I've heard good thingsa from other products, and if someone can enlighten me, show me other competitors and such perhaps I can learn something. From this point on, I'm trying to find something to maximize the lifespan, while getting the most features- and functionality. Comfort/etc. This will also be my first mechanical keyboard.

I got tired of replacing my rubber membrane keyboards after year. (7 to 14 months before replacement.) Often because the membrane would stick, and get bruised to the point the key would refuse to pop up. Due to the membrane being bent out of shape somehow. Out of the 5 keyboards I've had in 4 years. They all went out like that. I'm hoping a mechanical keyboard will resolve that concern.

I do not mind the noise. I have really good headphones for that.

jaraldo

Honorable
hehe, I think no one is answering you because you started off with "I'm not a fan of Tom's Hardware" :p

But overall, I liked your post. You gave tons of information which helps a lot, but missed the main point we need here on the forums... a budget :)

I assume because you are talking about blackwidows you have a budget from $100-150. I just bought the k95 and it seems to be a nice relief from the rubberdomes I was used to. Has 18 macro buttons which I needed. I'm still getting used to the sensitivity of the Red Switches but my typing is getting better. I would also not do anything Razer personally; overpriced junk, won't last you more than 2 years (and that's if you are lucky)

From what you listed though, it seems you want something more durable than actually mechanical. If you are a bit open-minded, I have an interesting option.

The IBM Model M keyboard or at least an IBM from the 90's. I based this option on that you said you don't really need backlights or macro keys. It's also "mechanical" and I have one for an old computer that is just as nice to type on as my k95. I just needed macros keys otherwise I'd be using it right now.

The thing you might like about it the most is durability. These things have survived 20-30 years and they are deemed "indestructible" by many people. I can remember my grade school used them and we had those same keyboards for 10 years there; even with all the abuse kids do to them. They are pretty heavy by keyboard standards because they have a thick piece of steel as the backing.

Here is an article about someone who prefers them to normal keyboards.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/why-i-use-a-20-year-old-ibm-model-m-keyboard/
It also links a site that makes clones of the board or fixes up original IBMs
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

You will need a PS2 to USB adapter for it, I would suggest a good one and not ebay as mine just barely cuts it and comes apart quite a bit. Mine was only $0.50 though :p

If that keyboard doesn't seem appealing then I have another newer keyboard which is one of the best non-mechanical keyboards I have ever tried. The Microsoft Sidewinderx4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191

For one, it comes with a 3 year warranty! For a rubber dome this is unheard of as far as I know. It's only $49 usually, but they are really in demand and I'm sure the price will be jacked up slowly. For some reason, they stopped shipping them to europe and you should see the amount of people asking to get them from there...

If you do some searches on it, you will see they are of amazing quality for a $50 board and are usually in Top Ten lists with many mechanical keyboards that are double or triple it's price.

It is backlit and has 5 macro buttons so it's a little bit of "flash" even though you say you don't need it :p
I'm more than sure this board can handle being dropped 1-2 times without much problem. The typing seems to be a bit better than your standard keyboards, I'm not sure if it's a rubberdome material or what.

These are the 2 keyboards I can suggest when I don't know a budget that doesn't need anything flashy because they are top quality and each will last far longer than most of their close competitors.

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Hey, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I will knock the rzaer adowana a few notches. As for budget, I felt like I made it pretty clear, and I apologize for not specifiying earlier. I hd intended to spend at least $150 on a keyboard. While the lifetime is important. I feel that right now I'm pretty favorable for a Das Ultimate right now.

Although I would have preferred backlighting for it, because I often spend time in the dartk. Not that I need it to see the words I type. As I've been typing in the dark for a long time now. But no big deala I've herd aof the model m ibm keybords.

Definitely not on the top of my list, and I just looked up your k95. It's a little overwhelming, as well as the sidewinder. I could. not tell if the handrest was removablae.a Ia cannot hve one of those. I do not have the desk-space. Well the K95 has aiat removaabale.

I am actually starting to like the k95 from this video. And wow, no I definiteoly like the k95, the corsair one here. Corsir Vengence k95 looks nice.

Well, I do like macro functionsaa, so I can't say no. As you can see, I'm fighting my keyboard, and it's breaking down on me. (I'm trying to correct, but I'm getting tired of doing it.) And it happens to have atleast some form of backlighting.

Really tho, I can remove Razer from the list. I'd like some more feedback, or information/suggestions.

jaraldo

Honorable
I could honestly feel your frustration growing while making that post T_T

I really like the macros on the k95, the functions can be customized to start programs, print, copy, save etc..any short cuts you can think of really :)

Thanks for that info on the Sidewinder, just assumed they'd make it removable...kinda weird :S The k95's can be though.

Other than the IBM M or the K95 ppl will jsut be recommending DAS keyboards and Ducky probably.
Since your keyboard is making your cry :p , take some time to read this thread, might help you with your decision or at least give you some more options.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/buying_guide

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Looking at the list kind of irks me, especially the $200 plus ones. I'm not so sure whats so great about Topre, and I will keep away from the high and expensive keyboards.

As much as that is, I definitely seem to have removed the razer blackwidow from the equation. Not a desired result. It is still well liked, but, that's because my Razer mouse has not failed me in the ten years I've had it. Despite the mousewheel breaking from my abuse, and dropping the mouse hundreds of times in the last few years. Wire is broken in it. But it still functions in gaming, minimally, and still works competetively.

As for a keyboard, the k95 or whatever it is, definitely Hits high in my mark as does any Das Ultimate keyboard. Simply because, in addition to the fact the keys are blank, which I am a touch typist by now. I used to look at the keys, now I just feel to where the keyas are,a and once I get going it tends to unravel it's self.

aThat's agood. I doan't know nyathinga bout ducky keybords sadly.a Soa I cana't relly saya nything for sure. If you could provide ny dditionl feedbck or information. And ll tht. I'd gretly appreciate it. The IBM M is a bit old, anada my motherbord has aa ps/2 port in it. Seems like the new mobos re re-dding them. So I'm good.
That wiki guide was useful, but it is a bit dated.

jaraldo

Honorable
The wiki guide was just revised 2 weeks ago :p hehe
revision by That_Geek— 13 days ago

All the keyboards you are looking at are more or less the same. They all use the blue/brown/red switches for the most part, the price just comes down to brand power.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-the-best-mechanical-keyboard-and-why-you-511140347

In the end it's just a keyboard, not a piece of hardware I can really give specs about or give any facts on why one is better and the other isn't. If you have researched any topics on this, you will notice that everyone just replies something like this:

"The XXXX keyboard is really nice. Great quality, has blue backlight and 5 macros."
"I've had YYYY keyboard for 3 years, never let me down and the keys are awesome to type on"
"there is a deal on a ZZZZ keyboard right now! You should get it!"

It's just all opinion and someone's personal experience. I've seen more good reviews on the IBM M and sidewinderx4 than most others, that's why I recommended them. For $150 you can get a nice keyboard, and I would just get whichever one is onsale because you will eventually notice that they all begin to look the same.

The k70 would be my choice. It is a great entry board and still has all the good qualities of the k95 but for about half the price.

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
The Das Ultimate is highly reccomended by some of my League of Legends buddies. One of them in particular loves it for the game. So fairly important. I do need to type on the keyboard, and I was looking at for some sort of comprimise. K95, looks nice, not looked at the K70 I think I have. But I'm willing to spend for extra. If it'll last.

I just hate that Dynex discontinued my keyboard, so I can't buy a cheap replacement. Going to the star I could not find one last year, or one like it. Had to go on eBay to grab it.

So as it stands k95, k70, and Das Ultimate. I'm still doing my research. But I do appreciate any, and all feedback.

jaraldo

Honorable
Well, No one on the forum can guarantee you any of these keyboards will last 3 years. Maybe a key stops working, maybe some update causes it to go crazy, the backlits stop working or maybe it just "dies".

That's why I gave examples of one with 3 year warranty and the IBM which is just unkillable :p .Those I can guarantee.

Because you have some worry about a keyboard lasting, I would advice you to go for something cheaper like the k70. This way if it's gone in 2-3 years it's not such a loss.

I've learned this lesson with the Razer Naga Mouse...$80 my first time and it broke 1 year later. $65 for my next one and it got the double clicking issue that I couldn't make stop. I'm on my third now($60) in a period of 2 years and I'm sure this one will be gone before the year is up.

I bought myself a cheap mouse from microsoft, it's a ball one :p Hoping that will last my longer than the Nagas..It was only $10 though ^_^

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I really like Razer products, my razer mouse is a Lachesis, I need an ambidexterious mouse. as My hand moves from side to side a lot. I use my left, or right hand often due to mea reposaitioning the mouse depending on if im working, playing. Or just relaxing. I'm a very flexaible individul tht would like to mke use of the fetureset of nything I cn.

In anycase I am sad. Razer's aesthetic and design is brilliant, but QA and actual lifespan seems to be quite variable, and prone to meltdown with some of the silliest things.

jaraldo

Honorable
Yeah, their quality has just gone down bad in recent years, hopefully it was just a bad mistake of the design team picking a cheap quality part and that they will improve on this in newer models.

Either way, mechanical keyboard breakdowns are much much MUCH less likely to occur than Razer breakdowns :p

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/keyboards/jon-martindale/corsair-raptor-k40-gaming-keyboard/ This popped up on my feed, and It was kind of ironic that It did when I was looking at mechanical keyboards. There appears to be a few pages present here.

jaraldo

Honorable
Yeah, specific ads/article directed towards your searches :p

Ahh, didn't know they had that version for the k40. I just thought the k70/k95.

One thing I believe is, to never buy something as soon as it comes out. You are basically trying to "win the lotto" because it will just be up to luck if you are buying a good product.

There is no way of knowing how good the LED in the backlights will be or how long they will last.

Lastly, if it's not mechanical, then they all end up being pretty much the same.
I have some logitech k120 on my budget pc which feels like any rubberdome "gaming" keyboard my friends have. Mine was $10 and theirs were $50 is the difference. I'd still suggest the k70 because of it's price and you said backlights don't matter.

I feel as though you are getting lured into the "fancy new keyboard" but I don't think it fits your needs as well. You said you are a typist, so a mechanical will greatly benefit you.

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Oh I'm not looking at it, I found it hilarious that one of the tech sites I frequented posted that out of the blue. Which is unusual. In anycase, I definitely want a mechanical keyboard. While I want the led. I'm willing to spend the $150 upto for any keyboard. But it's a variable thing. What matters if it doesn't break. I'd like to ask about mice as well. But I prob should make a seperate thread for that.

Does Razer still make good mice? And are there any ambidexterious mice that have lights. I like my mouse when it glows. I actually need that.Since It's how I find it in the dark (being so small)

Other than that, I'm settling on the k70, and k95 I believed. Still the Das keyboards have a spot. And I' still need to wait for the money to come in before I spent, so I've been sort of passing the time until then. Good thing I got all this research in ahead of time.

I'm a heavy typer, but I also type relatively fast, so the less pressure and weight I need to put on the keys, idealistically the better. But at the same time, perhaps the less distance I need to press the key the better for me. I'm not sure what kinds of switches are good switches.

That's the complicated part. The closest electronics store around here is 60 miles away. I live in nowhere land, all of the electronics stores up and left. So I can't get a chance to feel and type on the mechanical keyboard unless I take a drive. It might just be worth it, however.

jaraldo

Honorable

:lol: nooooo. I'd say out of all the brands today they are pretty close to the bottom, at least in what you are looking for; longevity. Lost of software/driver issues as well as mechanical ones. Depends on macros buttons and what you need, but there is far more selection with $50 gaming mice than there is with $150 mechanical keyboards.

Found this on a tech forum, maybe it can help you decide what switches. He mentions blues a lot, so I will say many people find them pretty loud.
Heavy typer/Mostly plays games/Strong hands: Black
Heavy typer/Mostly plays games/Weak hands: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
Heavy typer/Mostly types/Strong hands: Buckling Spring, Clear
Mostly types: Blue
Light typer/Mostly games : Red, Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
Light typer/Mostly types/Noise sensitive: Brown
50-50% Typing-Gaming: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again), Brown (noise sensitive)

To be honest, I think unless you were going to buy a keyboard that day it's not really worth the drive; you might 2nd guess yourself afterwards. I'm also in nowhere land and I think if you just do a bit of research on switches then go in with that knowledge of what to expect from each, you can make a purchase that day. But then again, it's hard to say if that electronic store will even have a good stock.

Here is one I forgot to mention to. There are about 4 different ones with varying backlights and switches.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201061

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Microcenter is pretty good store, don't diss it. I bought my processor there. :p For my computer, surprisingly because it was cheaper to do it there then online. saved $30. Also it wow'ed me with it's reptiore of nice stuff. Stuff I've never seen in just any electronic wannabestore. It was a true electronics store.

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Yes, microcenter is amazing. It's the only real computer/electronics store and it even a printer parasdise with an aisle worth of printer ink for a plethora of different printers. Holy crap.

But yeah. we'll see what my research pulls up. I'm sure I'll be posting a bit of another update when I look up some more information.

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
It's either the k95, or the Das Ultimate, I think I'm pretty content with balancing between those two. The Das ultimate is very appealing, and it has good feedback among associates. But the k95 is a bit in unknown territory, but the reviews for it seem consistency better and higher wherever I did look.

k70 or whichever it was can still be considered for a cheaper alternative.

jaraldo

Honorable
Well, I once had a thread go on for 2 weeks about a guy deciding between 3 keyboards. Eventually 3 or 4 of us just said "you are spending all this time researching a keyboard...it's just a keyboard"

So to help you along so we don't get to that, let me ask some questions :p

1. Are you worried about your keyboard not last 2-3 years? Yes=k70 ,No=K95 or DAS

2. Are you looking for a feature filled board? No=k70

3. Do you need macro keys? No= Not k95, Yes=k95

*researches*

After doing some checking, I see the k95 and DAS both come with 2 year warranty for $10 more, so I think the k70 is out.

Then after seeing the price difference, I'd go with the DAS

$148 K95=http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Mechanical-Keyboard-CH-9000020-NA/dp/B00CERXJNW
$125 DAS S Ultimate http://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-Ultimate-Tactile-Mechanical/dp/B003M4XGI4

Fusioneko

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Right now the k95 is on sale for $130 on newegg. Also the k95 is losing ground for me. It has a common problem of dying LED's I may just go for the DAS keyboard.

I also dont have the money for the keyboard yet, hence researching it before I do.

What kind of switch?