Worth an upgrade, or an entire new build?

Build a new rig, or upgrade current one for "next gen" games?

• Build a new rig entirely!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Upgrade your current rig!

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Letchy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm at the point where I want to either upgrade my rig, or build an entirely new one (Gamer here).

Firstly, here is my current build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Letchy/saved/ZRRKHx
Here is the 'new' build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Letchy/saved/FPVFf7

I'd likely be playing mainly games I own now and can play (though, not at the graphical settings I would like + FPS - i.e. Watch Dogs, BF3/BF4, World of Tanks, War Thunder). As well as GTA V when released, The Division etc.

In regards to my current build, if I were to upgrade my CPU to an i5 3570 would that suffice for playing Watch Dogs, GTA V etc. at high settings with 60+ fps? Or am I hoping for too much and should just take the plunge and build the new rig? (I have no problem doing this).

Thanks for the help in choosing my direction!

Letchy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Thank you both. Yuno, I understand that the 4690 is not overclockable (An oversight by me though, I did not notice it was not unlocked) and would want to eventually overclock. I'll definitely look at Z97 chipset boards. What would you recommend? To reply about your point of the 3570 - with my set up currently and what I plan to play, would you say it would be sufficient enough? For example - wouldn't it be out dated VERY soon?

Edit: Which of these Z97 motherboards would you say are the better choice? 1 2

NormH - I think you're right. A 4670k (or a wait for the 4690k) would probably be better. I want to go nVdia this time around though, so I would get the 770 and eventually a second one for SLI if need be.

If you want to not spend much money, it looks like all you need to do to your current pc is swap out the cpu for an i5 3570 and throw in a GTX760. Then you should be good to go for a while.

An i5 3570 runs games just as well as a haswell i7, so yes, it will suffice.

Letchy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I might do just that, actually. It would save a lot of time saving money and save money... All at the same time, heh. I guess I am just all caught up.

Probably for the best really. Won't need to upgrade for a while considering the games I am playing at the moment and in the future I should think!

The i5 3570 should hold up very well over time. There will need to be large breakthroughs in game programming before more CPU power than what it provides is needed. On the GPU front, a 760 will keep you running games on ultra settings for a good while. It very cost effective since it only costs $230 when on sale.

Letchy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Indeed, and thank you for opening my eyes sir. I was blinded by all the "new and fancy" components, I suppose!
I'll be ordering the 3570 first. Then the 760 (an MSI Twin Frozr? I think MSI have awesome graphics cards). Do you think the need to upgrade my mobo will ever arise at any point?

Your current build sounds a lot like the HP model we get at our school Computer lab, with windows 7 professional instead. As much I want to say get a new rig, I am unsure of your budget. Pentium in my preference sounds old...

Letchy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Haha, trust me when I say this: My current PC is not anywhere near as amazing as school computers! :D (Intended sarcasm)

I have elected to upgrade my current rig and have an i5 3570 as well as an MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr on the way, due tomorrow. :)

ASUS, MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte are all safe bets in my opinion as far as graphics card brands go. As for changing out your motherboard, unless it breaks or you want to upgrade to a different socketed CPU, there is no reason to upgrade your motherboard. Now if you decided that you wanted to overclock a cpu, you would need a Z series board, but that slight boost in performance wouldn't be worth replacing a perfectly good board and cpu.

mjranew

Honorable
May 13, 2012

In my honest opinion, I would say the most you need to do is get a new CPU such as the 3670k as many people have suggested already. The games you play are pretty CPU bound. Watch Dogs probably will struggle to reach 60 fps at high settings with a 7770, but you shouldn't have a problem with the other multiplayer based games like BF4 and War Thunder.

I think spending roughly 700 euros for a build that will probably be outdated by the end of the year just doesn't make sense when you already have a pretty passable build as it is minus your CPU. I say upgrade CPU, maybe even motherboard, hold out on the GPU for a while and see how prices come down.

If anything, getting a SSD to replace your boot drive would be the most significant upgrade other than a CPU as far as overall computer performance. It is also a fact that huge open world games like Watch Dogs run better on SSDs anyways because it loads the map much faster.

Letchy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
The only reason I think I would want to upgrade my motherboard is for possible SLI with the 760s at some point. Other then that, I wouldn't until I felt that I require the newer architecture when it comes to CPU etc.

An SSD is what I want to get next. Have had that sitting on the back burner for a while now, haha. Though I would need to upgrade my PSU. It does not have enough connectors to power everything... I cannot use my DVD drive because of this.

Edit: Thank you ArchitSahu, I think I will!

Edit 2: I now have a GTX 760 +i5 3570 in my system! I can run everything I am playing at the moment on Ultra with 80+ FPS. :D