Sign in with
Your question

Issues with computer after installing new Graphics Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 10, 2014 8:57:39 PM

I recently installed a new GPU, the Nvidia GTX 750 TI [Previously owned the 550 ti]. However, I've been having issues with framerate dips and the like - here's an example:

I'll be playing a game at 60+ FPS and no issues, and then 10 minutes in to the game it'll randomly dip to 15-20 FPS. Afterwards, any game [even low-end ones] will be very choppy, even when the FPS is 40-55. Afterwards the lag will even manifest on my desktop, and I won't be able to play any game with remotely decent graphics without bad lag. The only way to fix this is to restart the computer, but then the issue will repeat itself.

What I have tried:
Completely uninstalling every graphics driver and installing new ones [multiple attempts].
Cleaning Registries.
Messing with computer fans [Temperature is completely fine].

SPECS:
850W Power Supply
Nvidia GTX 750 Ti
Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz
16 GB RAM
Really good cooling system [Checked GPU temp, overheating not the issue].

The rest of my PC isn't the issue, as I was able to run these games with no problem on my other GPU [which was significantly worse].

Can I get some insight into what might be causing my issue? I've tried many various fixes to no avail.
June 11, 2014 12:10:42 PM

What power supply do you have?
List all your specs too please.
June 11, 2014 3:43:09 PM

[edited - posted specs in OP]
Related resources
June 11, 2014 7:13:36 PM

Updated the OP to have fully accurate information after testing.
June 12, 2014 1:29:19 AM

So I went ahead and put my old GPU back into my computer and now everything works fine again. I have a few theories as to why the new GPU didn't work - please reply and let me know which one sounds the most accurate:

1) The graphics card is the "FTW w/ ACX" version - apparently this includes 35% overclocking. I haven't specifically configured my computer to support overclocking [unless it does so automatically], so that could be the issue
2) The GPU is defective.
3) There's some strange software issue regarding something I needed to install but didn't [such as the latest version of DirectX or whatnot].
June 12, 2014 3:58:03 AM

Is the thread too old to generate replies now? Should I make a new one? [apologies if this bugs anyone]
!