I have a i7 920 and an msi x58 pro-e that I use for gaming. Should I upgrade? If so, to what?

Doctaj5

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Looking for some advice here. My current setup that I use for gaming is an i7 920, a msi x58 pro-e, 7 zotac gtx 760's, coolermaster 850w psu, and 24 gb kingston hyper-x. I am running 3 monitors at 5040x1050 (for racing games or a 1080p tv (fps and watchdogs).

I know that my motherboard and processor are getting up there in their years, so is it time to upgrade? I am not up to date on the processor/mb scene. Espeically when it comes to what works best for games. I guess my question is this. Is my processor/motherboard still a good choice for current games and upcoming games? My frame rates in games are excellent, but I do experience studdering at times. What are your guys thoughts here? If I have a budget of around $300 for a processor and motherboard, would it be worth upgrading, and if so, to what? Or should I just stick with what I got?

Thank you in advance.

BerganTead1

Reputable
May 16, 2014
If you feel that an upgrade is in order (you're not liking your performance). Then moving to the i7-4790K http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWAX8 and a Z97 motherboard would be an excellent choice.

If you're still satisfied with your computer then don't upgrade yet and wait until something like Devil's Canyon is released. The Haswell refresh is a very nice upgrade though.

I have the i7 920 (overclocked) on an X58 motherboard - last year we built a new i7 3770K on a Z77 motherboard.

Before you consider upgrading or building new, try overclocking. The i7 920 overclocks well.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
your i7 920 is still perfectly fine, a better improvement would actually be putting your OS on an SSD if it's not already on one. You could overclock your i7 920 too pretty good with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Doctaj5

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

It is on an SSD already. Maybe I will look into overclocking. It has a coolermaster V8 on it, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Thanks for the input.

oxiide

Distinguished
With an i7-920 already, I'd probably hold out to at least see how Broadwell ends up. But yeah, the i7-4790K would be the best upgrade as of today; or the i5-4690K if you don't really feel the need for Hyperthreading.