Should I use two routers when using an ip camera on my network?

320flyboy320

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
I have just ordered a Foscam FI9821W (capable of 720p video) for use as a surveillance camera for my front door. I won't be capturing any video, just using it to mainly for live video so my wife & son can see who is at the front door without having to actually answer the door. I am concerned about the bandwidth usage of the camera and was wondering if I should use a separate router for the camera, and have that one wired into my main router? The router I have running right now is a Asus RT-N66U and the spare router is an older Belkin F5D7231. Currently running off the RT-N66U wired is a printer, HTPC, and a laptop. Running off that router wireless is a laptop, several tablets, and hopefully the IP carmera.

I was thinking of connecting the camera to the Belkin (wireless) and wire the Belkin into the Asus to try and reduce the wireless load on my home network. Would that make any sense or should I just use the camera with my current Asus router and forget the second router?

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I am unable to answer your question, though I also considered this cam, though after reading through tons of reviews on Amazon and other sites regarding their support and the effectiveness of the cams, I went with a Dropcam. I will be interested in hearing if you get the camera working.

320flyboy320

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
Just to report back. I have the camera hooked up just using the Asus router and all is well. No real slowdowns yet.

The camera works great with no problems. I have updated it to the latest firmware and it went well, despite me reading lots of posts on Foscam's forums about update problems.

Thanks for everyones advise!