Gaming PC Power Consumption

Matteoam217

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Quick question. I'm putting together a new PC rig using pcpartpicker.com, my build uses 822W of energy. How bad or good is that?

numanator

Honorable
Can you post a link of the build? In terms of good or bad, it doesn't really matter how much power it consumes just keep in mind that typically more power=more heat so you would want good cooling and a power supply that can handle the load (usually you want your computer running at no more than 80% PSU capacity). Also the pcpartpicker power usage is more of a guideline, I would need to see the build to figure out how much it would actually use (people have done rigorous testing on most components to figure out how much power the parts actually use).

Matteoam217

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dHXfFT

numanator

Honorable
Yeah the r9 290xs max out at around 330w each with the CPU maxxing out at around 120w so 850w would be the absolute minimum but 1000w PSU is a good idea.

I am not sure the platinum PSU is worth the extra you are paying for it over the gold rated but that is up to you. That is a pretty beastly build, hope you have a triple monitor setup or a 4k monitor to take advantage of it.

Anyways, 800w+ is expected for that build.

Matteoam217

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

I was thinking about 2 of these monitors (Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor) would you say that would be good? or do you recommend 3 smaller monitors? 4k monitors are kinda out of my range at the moment. Unless you know of one for around $600.

numanator

Honorable
You would want to play across 3 screens, if you play first person shooters you want the crosshairs to be centered in one of your screens rather than in between 2 screens. Another option would be a 1440p monitor. Unfortunately I don't know all the intricacies of picking a monitor so I may not be too much help.

You could grab one of these:
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($489.99 @ Newegg)

or Wait untill this comes out (for $800): http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/rog-announces-the-pg278q-swift-27-inch-wqhd-g-sync-gaming-monitor/
1440p at 144 mhz refresh rate