What was the name of this old PC game??

wilberolive

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I remember about 20 years ago playing an old turn based 4x space strategy game, a bit like master of orion, but I can't remember the name of it. All I can remember is little details about the game and the fact that I used to play it night after night. I'll try and explain as many of the little details I can remember in the hopes someone might know what game this is so I can find it again.

From memory, I believe it used the Windows gui for its windows and controls and I believe I played it on Windows 95. I remember on the main screen showed the map of the galaxy (or something like that) with stars (or planets) dotted around. The graphics was pretty basic and I believe your ships (or fleets of ships) were represented on the map by little triangles that were parked next to your planet. You would start with your race on one of these stars/planets. In the beginning, you didn't have the technology yet to build space craft that could fly to other planets. I remember you would have to spend some time researching different engines and such before you could fly to another nearby planet. You could then build a colony ship at your home world and set a course for it to a nearby planet. This would draw a dotted line between the two planets that the little triangle (your colony ship) would follow over a series of turns until it reached its destination. Researching better drives (engines) would allow you to not only fly further but also faster. I think the game was quite detailed in terms of things you could do, like building things on your planets, managing you population, researching technologies and such (lots of number crunching).

I've tried googling around and I've looked at lots of the old space strategy games I can find, but none of them ring a bell. I don't think this game was a main stream or common like master or orion or some others like that. Anyway, if you think you might have an idea of what it could be, please throw out suggestions... anything I can start googling to try and narrow it down. Cheers!