Dual Monitor Set Up

Anti-UberForce

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Hi i currently own a Power Colour 6850 and i was wondering is it possible to run dual monitors of both DVI connectors?

DL-DVI-I
SL-DVI-D

They are the types of DVI ports it has and I am currently using the DVI-D Port but was wondering if I get a new monitor could I run it by DVI-I 1080p.

Thanks for any help

Solution

Yes no problem.

Yes no problem.

Solution

Anti-UberForce

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Cheers fought this was the case but my friend was saying it wasn't possible. So fought i'd make sure i wasn't crazy

I run dual screens all the time. AMD boards support up to 6 screens off a single card by default using Display Port adapters, and can drive 2 screens directly. If you get a pair of matching screens you'll also be able to set them up in 'eyefinity' mode so games treat them as a single large display...

rhapdog

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Depends on the connectors available on your particular model of AMD card.

My HD 7770 can run off both DVI ports plus the HDMI port, and it also has a display port that I can hook up an adapter into that will split it that will allow up to 3 additional monitors using Display Port, or, optionally, I could run all 6 off of Display Port.

I haven't really tried the Display Port option yet, as I don't have a monitor that supports it, but I have hooked up to both DVI and the HDMI. Not regularly, just when I take my box to the living room and hook up to the large screen HDTV for a bit of extra screen real estate. Usually I'm just running off of both DVI.

You'll find on a HD 7770 that if you try and run both DVI ports *and* the HDMI at the same time, one will be disabled. This is due to the internal wiring of the card. To run any more screens you have to use display port with active adaptors (I do allot of multi screen work with AMD cards for golf training / simulator systems). Interestingly on the updated R9 range of cards, amd increased the direct drive capability from 2 screen to 3, and then for some reason ditched all their cards with 6 display outputs on them (so you now *have* to use a display port MST hub for 6 screens which are horribly temperamental to use unfortunately). So frustrating as we used to buy loads of the 'eyefinity 6' edition HD 7870 cards but they're all but sold out now.