Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Thinking about buying a gaming PC, and selling my current one to parents... advice?

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2014 4:49:57 PM

Right... So... again, I'm a bit of a n00b with system specs.

My PC is in need of a new power supply (since the current one I bought to compensate for the graphics card I bought a few years ago is failing).

This is the PC I have...

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAG...

And I added an Nvidia GeForce 450 GTS graphics card.

I have a couple of questions though... it says the video card is integrated. Does this mean it is in the motherboard somewhere and can't be removed? And that the graphics card I bought just overrides it in a sense? i.e. if I were to remove my graphics card, the computer would run the integrated one? I can't remember if I removed a graphics card to put my new one in or not...

Secondly, how up to date is the Nvidia Geforce 450 GTS? Would it support games released today? Hoping my next computer will run The Sims 4 which doesn't have specs released yet. I could probably get away with buying a decent non-gaming PC and moving my graphics card to the new computer if it is.

I'm thinking of possibly selling my PC to my parents (obviously not for a great amount) because they need to replace their 9 year old XP system, and my PC is far more than sufficient for their needs even without additional graphics card so I can put it towards buying a gaming PC. I'd obviously replace the PSU, either buying a new one or putting the old one back in if I can find it if I take out the graphics card. (Since there was no problems with it).

Any advice on my questions would be useful thanks.

More about : thinking buying gaming selling current parents advice

June 12, 2014 4:57:13 PM

Chrisruptor said:
Right... So... again, I'm a bit of a n00b with system specs.

My PC is in need of a new power supply (since the current one I bought to compensate for the graphics card I bought a few years ago is failing).

This is the PC I have...

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAG...

And I added an Nvidia GeForce 450 GTS graphics card.

I have a couple of questions though... it says the video card is integrated. Does this mean it is in the motherboard somewhere and can't be removed? And that the graphics card I bought just overrides it in a sense? i.e. if I were to remove my graphics card, the computer would run the integrated one? I can't remember if I removed a graphics card to put my new one in or not...

Secondly, how up to date is the Nvidia Geforce 450 GTS? Would it support games released today? Hoping my next computer will run The Sims 4 which doesn't have specs released yet. I could probably get away with buying a decent non-gaming PC and moving my graphics card to the new computer if it is.

I'm thinking of possibly selling my PC to my parents (obviously not for a great amount) because they need to replace their 9 year old XP system, and my PC is far more than sufficient for their needs even without additional graphics card so I can put it towards buying a gaming PC. I'd obviously replace the PSU, either buying a new one or putting the old one back in if I can find it if I take out the graphics card. (Since there was no problems with it).

Any advice on my questions would be useful thanks.

The integrated video card is the graphics that comes with the Processor which is not so great and no it won't override with your 450 GTS and no you can't remove it

The 450 GTS would run most games on low to medium and it wouldn't run so perfectly with that processor
my advice just get a new build. maybe a 500$ build would be much better than this one

Related resources