Upgrading an already fantastic machine!

ChestR0ckwell

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Hey guys, I have a rig that has been performing great for me for the past 2+ years! It has munched up everything I've thrown at it until very recently and now shows signs of faltering from the pillar! Honestly, this is a definite "want" upgrade not a "need" but since it has been 2 years, I have the cash, and really enjoy tinkering with this stuff...why not!?

I am a gamer first, hobby PC builder second...I have a few ideas with what I want to do, but want to throw it out to all you experts to see what you have to offer.

PCBuild: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CRm3mG

Budget: can spend $700+/-100 per upgrade...upgrading every couple of months as necessary.

I play Planetside 2, Titanfall, Civilization 5, Wolfenstein: The new order, Crysis 1/3, Battlefield 4, Guild Wars 2, Hawken, Mechwarrior, Flight Sim X, Bio-shock Infinite, Starcraft 2, and Star Citizen. I have a Yamakasi display that puts out a beautiful 120Hz 2560 x 1440 picture.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
-AJ

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
Other than buying a 4790k which won't yield much of a performance upgrade. I guess if you wanted to you could start a nice custom liquid cooling loop. You could also get a single 780ti if you wanted too which would be better than 2 cards in SLI. Really isn't much too upgrade, but you could defiently make your case look cooler with a custom loop.

ChestR0ckwell

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah it is...I realize its pretty beefed up, recent games like wolfenstein, and star citizen have managed to force me to lower graphics settings at my display's native res...which id rather not do... but thanks for the feedback.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Yeah, a custom loop would be great. Maybe when Haswell-E or another enthusiast CPU comes out, you can upgrade other stuff, but right now, if you upgrade, it's just throwing away money :)

ChestR0ckwell

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

I didn't even consider adding cooling, that would be a fun project...I've never even attempted it, where should I start my research?

Alpha3031

Honorable

Here's a good guide to get started. Google (yes, I know) can also help you.

EDIT: Seems I forgot the link, here it is http://www.anandtech.com/show/7363/the-neophytes-custom-liquid-cooling-guide-how-to-why-to-what-to-expect

leeb2013

Honorable
Budget: can spend $700+100 per upgrade...upgrading every couple of months as necessary.

in that case, I would suggest every couple of months buy;

R9-290x
R9-290x
I7 - hex core
1TB SSD
Custom water cooling
4k monitor or 3 x 1080 monitors

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

With 700$, the 780 ti would be better than 290x