Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Need To Run 16 Bit Program On 64 Bit Machine

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2014 8:21:49 PM

Hello, I need to run a very old program we use at work for managing customers. We have had only 32 bit machines, so the 16 bit program has always had no problems until now.

*I think it's a 16 bit program, but am not sure. Assume it is because of this issue and the program is very old.

When I try to run the .exe I get this error:
Quote:
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

So, I tried to research how to deal with this and came across DOSBox. I then drag and drop the .exe over the DOSBox application icon, but am getting another error:
Quote:
This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

I think that is because DOSBox is meant to run mainly games and such that do not operate within windows. But the program I need to use is Windows based.

So, is there a may to do this on a 64 bit machine?

BTW the program is not supported whatsoever any longer. It's mentioned no where on their website to determine whether it is in fact 16 bit. It does not need to be installed on a machine with an installer. Rather, it is more like a database and you just need to run the .exe within its folder.

Thank you for your help!

More about : run bit program bit machine

June 13, 2014 5:12:54 PM

Your program is written for Windows 3 or Windows 98. Install Virtual Box on your new computer, install 32-bit Windows (e.g. XP), and run your program from inside that virtual machine. If your new PC happens to be Windows 7 Professional, you can install XP Mode, and run that program from within XP mode.

But - consider this as an early warning that it is time for you to upgrade your software.