D-sub - DVI converter or DVI cable?

DonHUN

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Hey! I have a Benq Gl2460 monitor and i've got a D-sub cable with the monitor. However my VGA (gtx 760) doesn't support D-sub. So here is my question. Should I buy a D-sub - DVI converter, or a DVI cable?

You need a d-sub to dvi-adapter that you attach to your video card, and then run a d-sub (also called vga) cable to your monitor.

Does your video card have 1 black and 1 white dvi port on the back? If so you want to use the white one, if not you need to consult your manual and find out which one is the DVI-I and use it.

DonHUN

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Ty for the answer. Can you tell my why is it better?

D-Sub is an analog signal, DVI is digital.

Thus with DVI your video card is sending a digital number code to indicate the color of every single pixel on your monitor, and the digital signal has less loss over the analaog.

The end result is in a brighter and more cripser image. You will notice the difference when you plug it in (or if you put a vga and a dvi side by side).

DonHUN

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
I think we misunderstood each other. I'm not asking the difference between D-sub and DVI, I'm asking the difference between, D-sub to DVI, and DVI to DVI. Or is there no difference?