Upgrading my current Rid, Advise Always Welcome

NickHough

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Hey Everyone

I want to upgrade my Current PC that I've had for the last 3 years coming up on to its forth :)

Now my current spec if as followed:
Intel i7 2700k @ 4.9ghz (1.45v and stable, only around 35 degrees idle)
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Motherboard
16GB DDR3 @ 2133mhz (G.Skill Ripjaws)
GTX 570 1279MB Graphics (Palit)
240GB OCZ Vertex4 SSD (OS)
640GB WDC Sata (Storage Drive)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
In addition to this i have a 850Watts Corsair TX series PSU (NON mondular)

Build i Want to get:
Intel i7 4790k @ 5ghz + hopefully
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer Motherboard
R9 280x Graphics - only wish to game in 1080p/3D and the 290x apparently doesn't have that great an edge of 1080p performance (Build for 2k and 4k gaming).
OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply.

Keep all the other parts as they are, newly added mostly. The SSD and HDD are good enough for now and have a bit of time left on them as well as space, the RAM is fast enough and rated quite good still, and sound card is very good quality so i will be keeping that as well.

I mainly want a better GPU, a motherboard and CPU that supports PCI-E 3.0 (but not necessary to begin with as i might stick to my current CPU for a while longer)
The only other requirement with wanting a new GPU is, is it likely i will need a new PSU due to the fact my current one is rated as bronze 80PLUS performance and have had the PSU for at least 3 years?

But like the title says any advice on what to get instead of what i've listed is very helpful, especially in terms of PSU's not too great with them :) and maybe graphic card if you can suggest a better one for 1080p/3D gaming.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
All you need is a new video card. Your cpu is still very powerful. No need to upgrade it.

A 280x or GTX770 would be fine. I recommend a XFX, Antec, or SeaSonic psu in the 650-750w power range.

NickHough

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

How about something similar to this?
http://www.ebuyer.com/616251-aerocool-templarius-imperator-1150w-80-gold-single-rail-14cm-white-modular-psu-acooltemppsuimperato?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CM6j1uLO8L4CFbDJtAodIEEANw

Quite cheep considering its 1150w, it's gold single rail though.

Also i decided 280x as everyone i've talked to and the reviews i've seen all say the 280x is better performance in majority of games

Also what does, gold, silver, bronze and platinum refer to when they talk about PSU, i know the 80plus refers to the efficiency of the PSU, does the gold, silver, bronze and platinum refer to the type of metal used in the capacitors/coils/rods?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
No I would not get that psu, quality aside, it's way too expensive. No need to spend that much.

The psu rating means how efficient the psu is. The higher the rating, the more efficient. Titanium > Platinum > Gold > Silver > Bronze

The more efficient it is, the less heat is produced, and the more reliable the product is.

NickHough

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

NickHough

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Hello, the R9 280x is a powerful GPU, the only difference is i only want 1080p gaming, not that 4k crap which will be near thousands to game properly on (and still in development stages)

I did state i would be getting a second to xfire in a few months, but want to upgrade specific parts before getting a 2nd GPU.

Also that PSU might be slightly overkill but i will be overclocking my CPU to like 30% faster which means on most Intel cores you require atleast 150 watts and maybe more in some cases.

So that with all my PCI/PCI-E cards (including graphics) and HDD/SSD/Disk Drives/Fans and so on, i want to future proof my PSU so i won't have to upgrade it again, even if in a year or two i decide to buy the most powerful GPU and use that. The only other option is using multiple PSU's.

The only reason i'm going overkill at the moment is because as of September i will be becoming a university student so i won't have any money for like the next 4 years to spend on computer parts, and i will be doing a computer course soo i need the best parts i can afford for now and completely overkill my PC with PSU/Graphics/CPU so i can finish my course with ease.

NickHough

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

Nice suggestion, but the price of the XFX power supply in the UK is a bit expensive at £175. I have however looked over the list of power supply on that website and got this.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-power-supply-np1gm1200a
Severely overkill at 1200w but will definitely mean i can expand my computer to no limits (mostly aha), especially a lot cheaper at around £115 ($195)

Power supplys in the UK aren't cheap as a lot aren't shipper here cheaply and buying of ebay/amazon (US version) costs a lot for import charges and delivery.

NickHough

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

Ahh sorry.

I forgot companies don't follow internet URL naming rules anymore.
tomshardware.co.UK typically implies its a UK site :p

But a nice PSU, but NZXT are known for cool products, and good quality ones, my case is NZXT and might go for this PSU as i like the brand (you pay for what you get and not the name)

Got another 10 days before i get paid, so i can make decisions then :)

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Yeah I wasn't knocking the NZXT. I just try to recommend what I'm familiar with. I've used EVGA and know they're good. I try not to recommend something I don't have first hand experience with. If you trust the NZXT then I'm sure it will be fine.