Suggestions for Mini ITX build

Liyate2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014
Hi, I wanted to know if this pc will be able to run games (BF4, Watch_Dogs, ect.) on max graphics smoothly. Also this is going to be the first pc I've built, so will these parts all fit together, and are there any other parts you guys could recommend to me? I want to stay in a $1,500 price range (without shipping, and monitor). I wanted this pc to be a mini, because I have a small desk, and where I live we get an earthquake every now and then, so I don't want it (the pc) to fall over (I know a mini will be harder to build). I've done some research, and read a few magazines, so I think that this pc will be pretty good, but here are the parts:

CPU: AMD A10-7850K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
GPU: Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 780
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D
Storage 1: WD Black 500GB Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Storage 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
Power: Corsair CX 600W Plus Bronze
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Also if you know any good optical drives please list them!

I also need some suggestions for a good monitor, I wanted a Acer G6 Series G276HLGbd Black 27" 6ms Widescreen LED Backlight (preferably 27").

Sorry this is a little long, but thanks for reading it!

saszcaz

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I agree with Yuno. I would scrap that CPU and get at least an i5. If your not overclocking, maybe forget about the cooler?

Liyate2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014
Which one should I get if I'm not going to over clock, and want something that dosen't run very hot (i5 cpu)?

saszcaz

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

i5 is heaps good for what you want to do so you may want to switch out the motherboard. Get the Samsung DVD drive which is something like $19 here in Australia.

Rammy

Honorable
Few points-

• ■ Definitely go with an i5 at your budget level. The simple answer for which one if you aren't overclocking - whichever is cheapest. Probably something in the 4430/4440/4460 range, I'd definitely stay under $200 here.
    ■ If you aren't overclocking, buying an H100i is basically flushing cash.
    ■ The 250D is big. It's width will give it stability, but if you have a small desk, and want it to sit on top of your desk, you might be better off considering something narrower.
    ■ If you stick with a 250D+H100i, then you'll need to pick a motherboard carefully. Which chipset you need will depend on your needs - Wifi etc, but MSI and Gigabyte boards especially have a tendency towards putting connectors along the top side of the motherboard where they will block/interfere with fans.
    ■ Your graphics card is too expensive. You didn't link prices, but that card is around 20-30% more expensive than a standard basic GTX780, and while it's nice, that is likely to put it into GTX780Ti range, so it's unlikely to be good value.
    ■ If you are pairing a HDD with an SSD, 500Gb is fairly small, and not terribly good value. For roughly the same price you can get a 1TB Caviar Blue/Barracuda with a 64Mb cache.
    ■ You probably don't need 16Gb of memory, but given the lack of expansion available it's not the worst thing to overkill on. If you find yourself with a non-OC i5, and a B or H-series motherboard, it's likely you'll be limited to 1600 speed, so don't overspend here.
    ■ Get a better quality PSU than a Corsair CX. If you desperately want a Corsair, get an HX650, but there are arguably better options from the likes of XFX and Seasonic.

Liyate2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

That case is amazing! Thanks for telling me about it!

Liyate2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

I've decided to go with an Intel i5-4460, thanks!

Liyate2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, I've decided to go with an i5 4460, and I won't be using the h100i, because the new case that I want can't fit that cpu cooler.

Liyate2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

Thanks Rammy! I've though about your advice, and decided to go with an i5 4460, and since I found a better case (Fractal design NODE 84) I won't be needing the H100i, because it won't fit. Also for the mother board I decided on an ASRock H97M Pro4, and I will replace the WD drive with a Seagate Barracuda. I'm going to go with a down graded DDR3 1600 ram, but I'm going to keep it at 16GB. I'm going to stay with the gpu, and which Seasonic power supply would you recommend? Thanks