Sabertooth X79: Strange Chassis Fan Issue

varduga

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Hello friends,

I just built a machine that I'm VERY happy with. 4930K, 64GB quad channel 1833mhz, 780GTX TI, etc - and the build (my first in 12 years) was a blast. And, it worked the first try! The last machine I built was a splurge with a Radeon 9800 pro 128mb, so I could play Rome Total War..... ;)

However, even though it booted the first try and has been running Windows 8.1 and Red Orchestra 2 VERY well ever since, I'm having a very strange issue with my chassis fans.

I'm using a Lian Li case that has three 120mm fan spots on the front, and one on the back (the PSU and graphics card help equalize the pressure).

Also note that all my chassis fans are very high quality Noctua 120m fans that cost over $25 each.

Check this out: http://screencast.com/t/cCxWmprQ72Q

The fan plugged into Chassis slot #2 isn't registering at all, even though it DOES spin very slowly for about 15 seconds after booting. And Chassis fans 3 and 4 are running crazy-slow, despite being set in BIOS to NEVER run below 600RPM no matter what.

Have any of you guys ever seen anything like this before? Do you have any suggestions or advice for me?

I used an EVGA 1000W Platinum 80+ power supply, so I really doubt voltage is a problem here (especially since everything else is running so well).

The only other note is this: The system runs pretty cool. (http://screencast.com/t/SRDy6mVMGKyJ). I considered that maybe it isn't running the fans faster because it doesn't need to, but they ARE set in BIOS to never dip below 600RPM. And all fan profiles are set to STANDARD.

Thanks guys...

Pat

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would swap connections around to see if it is the fan(s) or the MB fan headers that's the issue.

If the latter, there isn't much you can do other than replace the board or live with it. Or run the fans off the PSU directly, or use a discrete fan controller.

If it turns out to be the fan(s) that is defective, at least it isn't as expensive.