Building a PC for mostly gaming, want to see if it fits

Shoridan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Hello everyone!
Building a PC for myself and my wife for mostly gaming purposes.
It will not be overclocked (or maybe very lightly), nor do I need any upgrade any the future. I try to get a new computer every 3-4 years when the old one gets too outdated.
It is meant to run games on high setting, usually not very demanding FPS but milder MMO/RPG and so, but supposed to last for 3-4 years.
Sound dampening is important to us, so I took the case minding that.
I am getting it in Europe, unfortunately that means around the same price as I found on PCPartPicker but in euros... that's life :)
It also means a bit limited in variety of items (for example - no Nanoxia around me, and Fractal Design is quite expensive).
I need a screen and wifi adapter, and have a router that supports the features on the card I picked (dual band, etc...).
Would be happy for advice - any kind of changes you recommend? anything that I didn't take into account? is everything compatible?
Please stay around the same budget if possible (or lower if it still stays on the same level of configuration).

Thanks a lot in advance!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i11 74.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($23.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.92 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($351.30 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec P100 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell P2314H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($38.57 @ Amazon)
Total: $1244.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-14 11:21 EDT-0400

Shoridan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Just a short bump, sorry for the harassing, but I need to confirm or change the configuration within a day or two.

Shoridan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
It will be mostly Smite, World of tanks, Guild Wars 2 and the such for now...
Later on I'm also hoping to run the new Dragon Age and Witcher 3, and we will see what the future has to offer :)
For the first ones I can easily pick something cheaper that will run on highest or close to them settings, but for the latter ones I think I will need the parts I picked.

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Sorry it took so long for me to get back but over the last few days I have made this for you.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kjZvqsi chose the cpu because it's abut more powerful and can be overclocked.
I chose the motherboard because I recently got the micro atx version of that board and I'm an extremely satisfied and it has a simple BIOS.
Cooler works and cheap.
Ssd is fast and reliable and the caviar blue because it is faster in transfer speeds.
Kept the same case because you liked it.
Graphics card my friend has the 280x and he plays ARMA 3 and lots of other demanding games on ultra plays perfect.
Psu upgrade ready (huge upgrades)

Hope this is helpful for you and good luck.

Ps please feel free to reply back and tell me whats wrong and what's not.

Shoridan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Thanks for the advices, but unfortunately the link you posted does not lead anywhere and I can't see the build you recommend.
Just from the description it seems a bit you traded GPU power for extra CPU power. I know the 290 can pretty much run everything, but in the future there will be a difference (and I prefer not upgrading and instead simply buying a new computer in 3-4 years). Also my CPU does not really support overclock, which is fine, since I don't plan on using any (or maybe very light in the future, but nothing serious, also because the case I took lacks proper airflow unless you remove the sound isolation).

I'd be happy to check out what you recommended, so if you can please send a link that works for that build.

Thanks a lot!

numanator

Honorable
For the GPU go for this one:

Sapphire r9 290 Tri-x $435
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Version-PCI-Express-Graphics-11227-00-40G/dp/B00HJOXUKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403200675&sr=8-1&keywords=sapphire+r9+290

It isnt listed on pcpartpicker but it is a great price for a great gpu.

Also, you won't need the CPU cooler since you are not overclocking. You can get the one if you feel that the stock cooler is too loud but definitely not needed.

Edit: keep in mind how long the card is, its 12 inches long so double check that it will fit.

Shoridan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Aside from the price - would you recommend the Sapphire version over the Powercolor one?
I read some reviews, they both seem rather quiet and have great cooling, so I picked the Powercolor because it did have a price advantage. It is also a bit shorter if I remember right.

The CPU cooler is indeed simply due to sound, I heard the stock one can get quite loud, plus as we enter the summer months here, and without a/c (don't need one most of the time, but there are some nasty days...), that cooler might be more effective.

numanator

Honorable
For the GPU, I would go with the Sapphire over Powercolor mainly because I trust the brand more. The brands I typically go for in AMD GPUs are Asus, MSI, Sapphire, and Gigabyte. The lower price is also a bonus.

For the cooler, I don't know much about the effectiveness of that particular cooler so try to do some research on how quiet it is compared to the stock cooler. I currently have an older i5 setup with a stock cooler and will usually hear my GPU fans over my CPU cooler.

Shoridan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
I will offer a feedback for the system you posted:
The CPU you offered is slightly weaker and for the same price (the 4590 is considered one of the best value/performance in that budget).
The GPU is quite weaker, and is the most important component of a gaming system (as long as CPU does not bottleneck it).
The motherboard is quite a bit more expensive - and I am simply wondering why?
The SSD seems quite slower than the one I picked, from an older series (unless I confused it, but that's what I found), and the price is pretty much similar.
The PSU is indeed of higher watt capacity and is of good quality and more expensive than the Seasonic one I picked. From every check I made so far, the 550W G series is more than enough to run my system, unless I add another GPU (which I am not planning on) - and in which case I'd take a 850W just to be on the safe side.
The screen is cheaper and larger, but is TN panel and simply not as good.

The computer is meant for high graphic capability and good picture, and with lower level GPU and screen I think it misses the point a bit. Thank you for the advices, but I think I will stay with the build I picked before for now. I would appreciate any more ideas of course.

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014

I have to say a 290 is overkill and for al the games you only need a quad core so a cheaper quadcore processor will be fine and smite if I remember was the most demanding was smite and that was recommended you have a quadcore 3Ghz or more (Intel/AMD) and a 6790 (which I believe is the equivalent to the 270X) so you could get a lot cheaper and same performance.

im just saying and quad core will do and a 280x is kinda overkill and 8gb ram is way more than enough.
the sort of thing you have there is for playing arma 3 or watchdogs (good game you should have a look at it)

but otherwise go with that.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
That's a very solid build man, its like something I would like to do/have. except for the PowerColor card....get the Sapphire or any of others really, had a PowerColor 270 that was Loud as hell and eventually died....