Help with building a small form factor gaming pc.

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
Ok, here's the deal I need to build a SFF gaming pc for a friend. I've never built a SFF pc before, always been Mid-Tower or larger.

Budget: $1500 (can go a little higher if worth it, but want to keep it as cheap as possible, if cheaper than budget AWESOME as I get to pocket the difference!!! But want power to do stuff and reliable parts too so I don't really care about making money, this is his first gaming rig and we want to be able to play games together, which is why I offered to build him his pc. I just didn't expect the SFF part of it! haha! I'm up to the challenge of having to fit this stuff in a smaller form factor.

Retailer/ Etailer: really prefer AMAZON as I have PRIME membership so I get free 2-day shipping on most stuff.

Build time: Within the next week

Usage from most to least: Gaming, Music, Watching Videos/ Movies, Internet, Video/Audio/Photo Editing.

It needs to be able to play these games:
Command and Conquer (All of them) Sims 2 and 3, Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, Xcom, Diablo III w/ expansion, Torchlight 1 and 2, Saint's Row 3 and 4, Simcity 2013, 3 and 4, Borderlands 1 and 2, Bioshock (all), Tropico 4, Marvel Heroes, Just Cause 2 and will a lot of different ones I guess at 1080p and on at least Medium to maybe High or even higher. (I'm sure some of the older games will play with no problems.)

Preferred parts: I'm not really picky on manufactures. Best bang for buck and such is always good. AMD or Intel CPU's, Nvidia or AMD GPU's. it doesn't matter much. As long as it's coming from Amazon and on top of that he is bowing to my expertise in the aspect of what works and doesn't work. (Personally I would want to go Intel and Nvidia due to the SFF and how Intel and Nvidia seem to run a little cooler, though that may have changed with the latest stuff from AMD).

Wireless is preferred- something with good range.

Parts not needed: Keyboard, speakers, OS, Monitor (depending on if the gpu comes with a dvi/hdmi to vga adapter, I have a 18" 1366x768 display that has VGA on it. It's only temporary until he gets a monitor he is really happy with.) This may be updated as I discover extra stuff around my house that I could help my friend with.

Parts needed: everything to build the computer, mouse, wireless adapter (preferably something that has good range), Monitor (again, as stated above depends on adapters included with the gpu.)

It needs to be a SFF as he doesn't have a whole lot of space, space is a premium where he is, so something that is small, but can hold good gaming parts. He would go laptop, but those aren't upgradeable over time and he would have to worry even more about heat. I told him a desktop was probably the best in terms of upgradeability, and reliability as well as cooling.

If I forgot anything I will edit this post to add or update as people make suggestions.

Current Build:
To be updated as suggestions happen.

I will also update the post once everything is ordered.