Why Hate AMD?

saszcaz

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I don't know about you guys but out of the people I know, there seems to be a deep hatred for AMD. I just don't know, why hate AMD? I am pretty much the only person out of the people I know that owns an AMD based computer. Should this bother me? It would be great to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance! :D

A lot of people own AMD based computers. AMD CPUs do usually perform slower, though their video cards are fine.

I don't hate AMD, but I resent that they're still pumping out 125w CPUs and 150w GPUs at the mid range, while Intel+Nvidia are running 55w CPUs and 60w GPUs at the mid-range. Energy efficient computing should be a much bigger priority for AMD than it currently is.

At the high end, the difference is even worse. An i7 runs at like 80w, and in order for an AMD FX CPU to match that performance, they run at 250w. The difference is so extreme it becomes silly. I'm surprised the EPA isn't kicking them down.

Hi saszcaz
there will always be fanboys on either side of the fence , just like car owners, football teams etc
At the end of the day as long as you are happy with your system and it does what you want it to do then that's all that matters :)

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I don't think they're as bad as people say they are either but I also agree that I don't like how power hungry their GPU and CPU are compared to Intel and Nvidia.

Power bill concerns matter to some people and running a power hungry overclocked 6 core vs a low powered i3 probably matter for many, the intel is also better performing but the AMD is good enough for the majority of users.

You have to get a decent motherboard and aftermarket heatsink to overclock an AMD just to maybe match an intel at stock, and with all that extra money, sometimes an AMD system ends up costing more than an intel. I wouldn't ever get anything above the fx8320.....any money above that and I'd get the i5. In any kind of cpu intensive thing like MMO or RTS Intel is going to come out on top.

It truly just comes down to the needs of that individual. I don't play CPU intensive stuff so in all likelihood I would of been just as content going with the 8 core AMD I originally planned. This i5 hasn't let me down, only game I ever have problems with is the buggy POS BF4 and people with better PC's than me routinely have problems that plague the battlelog forums anyway

sapperastro

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
I cannot see any reason to hate AMD. Indeed, Intel is more deserving of 'dislike' due to their past dirty business practices. However, at this very moment and probably for at least the next couple of years, intel has the strongest CPUs on the market for most applications. If you want the best, well, you have to fork your money out and buy an intel processor.

Now, does this mean AMD CPUs cannot do the job? Not at all. They can do pretty much anything that the intel processors can do, just not quite as good across the board. Unfortunately, AMD seem to have lurched around like a drunken sailor, heading this way and that, and are in a bit of a flux, not releasing anything new in the top tier of CPUs (the cancellation of the Steamroller FX line, and almost certainly the Excavator FX line), so while the current Piledriver FX CPUs can still dance well enough, they are slowly, but inexorably, falling ever further behind intel, who is constantly releasing (incrementally) better CPUs.

Come Broadwell (the next intel release of CPUs), unless Broadwell somehow magically sucks, FX CPUs are cut by 25% or more, intel increases their prices by 100%, or suddenly every game released is expertly threaded for 8 cores, buying an FX cpu from the Piledriver range will be an odd decision for all but the hardest of hardcore AMD fanboys.

Will the cpus still do the job? I have no doubt. In fact, unless you are having an issue with your AMD cpu, I cannot see any reason not to wait around and see what this new AMD high performance release (scheduled for a couple of years time) is capable of. You should have saved up enough money for a new system by then, or, if the new AMD chip is rubbish, enough money for a jump to intel if required.

TLDR; I don't hate AMD. They are 'good enough' still and probably for the next couple of years at least. They are dropping behind though, and need to get back on the road if they want to compete for the enthusiast dollar.

If you meant the A series lineup, there is nothing wrong with them. Excellent chips for an all rounder PC on a budget. Good enough CPU with very good integrated graphics. And since you posted this in CPUs, I also assume you don't mean AMD Graphics cards, which I use myself in my i5 haswell PC and have found to work perfectly in all situations.