Cheap GPU for gaming

Singular9

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Okay this sounds stupid, to spend 60 bucks or less on a graphics card, but, that is my budget.

So i have a mid-tower pc with a Phenom 2 quad-core 840 running at 3.2 GHz, which is more than enough for my needs, boots windows in 10 seconds MAX.
I have a 4 gb ram stick, i was thinking of buying another one, but running Need for speed rivals i only use about 70%.
And i have a ATI (sapphire) radeon HD 5570.
So i bought this pc from computer direct outlet for 450 (550 with windows 7).

What i need is something that can increase graphics performance by about 50%, be fan cooled (i have a bad experience with heat sink cooled gpu's cause i burned out 2 of them playing games), and cost 60 bucks or less.

I was thinking a crossfire. BUT i have no idea how that is done and ONLY if that is the best think to do i will do it and figure it out as i go.

I can overclock my gpu, but i decided not to do that. I bit scared of messing up.

So im playing NFS rivals and i only get about 45fps (frostbite 3, instead of skipping frames to keep the game pace up, it slows the game down...sucks). I went into CCC (catalyst control center) and set the settings to adaptive multisampling, and tesselation level OFF. This notched up my fps to above 70 and gameplay has sped up alot, but im running the game with lowest possible settings with lowest resolution of like 1000x700 (something like that).

Ive seen how this game runs on good computers and bascally i know what im aiming for as far as performance.

Also i have an old gaming computer i built 9 years ago (AMD Athlon 2 2.1ghz dual core, 2.5gb ram and a geforce 6800gs) Maybe crosfire the geforce and my ati? or will that not make much of a difference.

Thanks for all the help ahead of time.

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
You're not going to get a noticeable upgrade for under $60,that 5570 is still a big contender in that price range.
The absolute best i could manage to find is the R7 250 for $62 after a $20 mail in rebate, but i wouldnt consider it an upgrade.
You're going to have to spend +$130 to find an upgrade you'll notice.

You cant combine ATI and Nvidia cards and the 5570 isnt able to crossfire(That i know of).

Your best bet would be to try overclocking,its pretty straight forward and safe these days. Read a guide/watch a vid showing you the software and how to find your optimum Overclock.

Singular9

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

ive read that you can crossfire the 5570 with another 5570, but havent looked in to deep into it.

Thanks, i kind of figured out how to use the CCC to improve performance by decreasing tesselation levels and increasing fan speed a bit to keep it cool-er, and overclocking i will definitely look into.