Rack Server Upgrades

mrnothersan

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hi

I've got a Dell R200 server and want to sort of "refurbish" it, very inexpensively as it's not going to be used as a "production" machine.

It's got an Intel Xeon E3110 @ 3.0GHz (LGA775), 4GB RAM, 2x250GB drives.

I'm going to be putting a 120GB SSD inside as I've already got one of those. I'm not sure how much RAM I can go up to or how much it can support.

What would you do to it, in terms of upgrades?

Thanks.

What I would do is slap in the SSD and call it "upgraded". No costs associated... 8GB should be your max on that LGA775 motherboard. ...and DDR2 is expensive! Hopefully you don't actually need it and can run on the 4GB you already have. Past that, the server is still very capable for a lab machine or file / print server.

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Depends on how use your system. If you are facing with the memory being filled up quickly with many applications and if you tend to multitask or work with high data files then RAM should be your priority else if you are looking for speed and storage space then SSD. I'd still go with RAM considering it is slightly less costlier than the SSD (you might get two 2GB module under $50) and the fact you already have a SSD.