Determining condition of components after water accident from 2 years ago

Fillip Peyton

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
About 2 years ago, I had water spilled on my rig. It was a sad, sad sight and my computer immediately turned off. I turned off the PSU power and pulled the AC cable and immediately began taking components out of the computer. I left a fan on my exposed computer and parts for a 3 days. I then made sure all the parts were sufficiently dry and re-pieced together my computer. I found that generally everything worked except the onboard video and audio. So I replaced these with dedicated cards.

Fast forward to today. I'm still using the same parts as before (save a new PCI sound card and video card that I've since added) and I've decided it's time to upgrade (for both the water and out of date factors). I have bought a new mobo (Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3), CPU (AMD FX-8350), and PSU and I am wondering how I can determine the condition of my CPU/motherboard/Drives.

I'm assuming that my PSU is toast (it was cheap anyway) and I have run Memtest on my RAM (only two of four sticks survived). I'm curious if there are any programs (like Memtest) or "standard" testing procedures that would determine the condition of my CPU/motherboard/Drives? Then I can determine if the parts are worth giving away/selling. I'm not interested in giving away bad parts.

Thanks!

Dom_79

Distinguished
For the CPU you could run a stress test like prime95 or Aida64. If it passes prolonged tests it should be good. The hdd can be checked with chkdsk for bad sectors. Unfortunately the motherboard has no such option. Usually when a motherboard is faulty there is a problem and to "test" it all other components are removed/replaced. If the problem persists it's the motherboard. Seeing as the onboard video and audio are shot, it's probably best to scrap it.