WD Mainstream and Toshiba 7200 RAID? Backup?

Slickshooter

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hi all,

I was kind of in a rush to buy hard drives after an external I had failed on me. It was the only backup I had and I lost all 3 tb of data. This time around I don't ever want that to happen. The thing is I've been researching and there are a whole bunch of things that come up, some helpful and some confusing. I am hoping you guys can clear it up.

I thought RAID 1 was designed for backing up. I was about to buy two of the same model of hard drive but then I read somewhere that you're not supposed to because apparently they have a chance of failing at the same time.

So, I went to the store and bought a 3tb WD mainstream drive and a Toshiba 7200 RPM drive. The salesmen was telling me that this was not ideal for RAID because of the rpm difference and suggested I buy two 3tb WD mainstreams instead. I did not listen.

Hoping to justify my purchase, I researched again and found that RAID 1 is apparently not ideal for backup and you should just used timed backups instead.

Right now I am very confused. I have not opened either of the drives yet, but I am wondering what you guys would suggest. I have an SSD with an OS and some applications and games on it, but space runs out quick (256gb) if I want to install all my games. I would mainly use the 3tb for media storage, playback, maybe video editing, and gaming if my SSD is low on space. Is RAID 1 the best solution or should I just use the 7200 RPM drive and maybe use the green WD drive as a timed backup? Or maybe I should return one of them for something else, or both? I'm not sure how any of this works.

I would use one drive for the storage that you normally use switching the locations of documents, pictures, videos, music and etc, to the HDD. Direct game downloads and others to the HDD. Then use the second drive to backup periodically all the data/stuff that you do not want to lose. So, if one hdd fails you always have a bachup. I use an external esata docking station, a Thermaltake BlackX. I back everything up every week or two. Have two external backup HDDs so I have three copies, the one I use and the two backups. Esata, even sata2 is a lot faster than USB2.0 or 3.0.

Slickshooter

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

I've never done this before. So that does mean I just drag and drop my folders from my SSD to one of the HDDs?
And are the drives I bought the best for it?

Also is there a reason to use a hotswap? What if I install both internally? I only have two.

You can install all the drives internally. There is less wear on the drives if you just use them off & on wherever you need to backup. I keep two drives uninstalled until I do a backup. You will want to keep the storage drive that you have redirected folders to, installed because you will be using it all the time.

Here's instructions on how to Redirect a folder to a new location.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

When downloading games or whatever, redirect the download to the hdd.

Slickshooter

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks for this. I think I may keep the backup drive separate. One more question though.

I have this drive still in the box: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136874

I bought it without reading the reviews. It looks like it is not a good drive. Should return it for another? I don't have too high of a budget, but this one is one sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236660&cm_re=purple-_-22-236-660-_-Product

RAID is for redundancy - so that if one drive fails, you'll still have a working copy of your OS and/or data. RAID prevents down time.

RAID is not a backup. A virus, file corruption, or an accidently deleted file will effect all drives in a RAID volume.

popatim

Titan
A backup is an extra copy not your only copy. The best backups are one you can have/store completely unconnected and then not even stored in your house. (no power, no network...) that way if lightning/fire/flood/tornado takes out your pc, it wont take your backup with it.
In your shoes. I would exchange the wd green for two 3tb external drives if you can afford it.
leave the 7200rpm drive as your main system drive. At first backup to both externals and then move one to someone elses house. from then on you backup to the one you have at your house, then swap your with the one you keep offsite, and backup again to this one you just picked up.

Yes, this can be a pain in the patootie but the odds of losing all your data are severely diminished.

Personally I make a hot backup to my server, another backup to my external harddrive (and then disconnect it) and burn new files to dvd's. 1 dvd copy kept in my firesafe in the basement and the other copy I bring to my sisters basement. (they keep their offsite copy in mine) this is at minimum. For my home photos and videos that I couldnt bear to lose there are a few more copies of every file.
Why do I make a backup to dvd and external hdd? just for the sheer restore speed the hdd brings.

Slickshooter

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks. I would use it as an offsite backup. But I'm curious why the Seagate would be better. I had an external 3tb Seagate that died on me.

I want to return the green for two externals, but my budget is just shy of $150. I think I will buy an extra one when my finances are better and store the most important stuff in the cloud and a USB. Thank you.