Monitor Size/Resolution and Performance

symphonicfinale

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I want to get a new monitor but im unsure what my current (somewhat old) build can handle. In terms of performance does an increase in monitor resolution only matter when it comes to gaming? I dont play many graphically intensive games. League of legends and minecraft are a few for example. Other than that will any other performance change?
Ideally I want it to be HD quality and at 20-24".

Specs -

AMD A8-3850 CPU/APU
8 GB RAM

Solution

For gaming? Minimal difference. The on-die GPU is almost equivalent to the R7-240. But it uses slower memory for its video ram; the system memory. Gaming at 1080p...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

No, not at all. Just the frame rate you would get gaming will be affected. Since game frames are rendered 'on the fly', and the more pixels and texels each frame consists of, the lower the frame rate will be with a high rez monitor compared to a lower rez one.

Oh, and possible some videos if you run them at 1080p.

But you can always pick up a discrete graphics card when finances permit.

symphonicfinale

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Thanks. How much better do you think the A10-6800K would fare at 1080p?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

For gaming? Minimal difference. The on-die GPU is almost equivalent to the R7-240. But it uses slower memory for its video ram; the system memory. Gaming at 1080p almost demands a decent discrete card if you want to use anything other than the lowest settings.
For videos and 2D work, it would be fine at 1080p.

Solution