Problem with booting PC

Zeniba

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I am having a strange problem with my pc that only started recently.

The first warning signs were a couple blue screen errors stating: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

This happened once or twice, so I updated my drivers and it seemed to go away.

A few days later I noticed that after shutting my pc down and trying to power back on, the fans would spin, but I would get no display and no back-lighting on any peripherals.

This problem has persisted, the only way I am able to get the pc running is to switch it on and off about 5 times and eventually it will boot up... Imagine pull starting a lawn mower, that is what it feels like.

I built the pc myself a few months ago and haven't had any problems up till now, I am thinking it could be a problem with the PSU, but didn't want to have to replace it and rewire the entire build until I had explored some easier trouble shooting routes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Zeniba

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I am running on windows 8.1, but I have had a look at their blue screen help on the subject and it hasn't yielded any results.

The blue screens haven't been a problem for some time though, now it is simply a problem booting up the pc. I just tried doing a full shut down and powering back on straight away and it worked first time.

I have seen reports of this happening to hard drives, where there isn't enough power coming from the psu to get the disks spinning properly (forgive any ignorance on the subject) so the operating system can't read. By turning the machine off and on you get hard drive up to speed and the pc can boot.

My os is on an ssd, so I assumed my problem was different to this case.

I am beginning to think that I may just have to bite the bullet and replace the psu.

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Sorry, was late when I answered last night. Just reread your post.

It could be the PSU if the Video card and CPU is not getting power through the rails. If your PSU is modular, maybe check to be sure the cords are all plugged in to the PSU properly. If not, your PSU should be under warranty if its only been 3 months.