Upgrade from a stock CPU cooler

Chudeno

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello I have a intel core 2 duo E6600 I would like to upgrade the cooler on it. What is a decent aftermarket cooler that I dont need to remove the motherboard to install the cooler not looking for anything high performance just something better then stock thanks

Aspire77360

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Most CPU coolers need access to behind the motherboard because they use a backplate for strength. Depending on your case, you may have to remover the motherboard. The only one I can think of that doesn't need access is the Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo, but I'm not sure how good it is.

Chudeno

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
its an older model hp pavillion A6010N pc with P5LP-LE (Leonite) motherboard with a screw in cpu cooler not the push pin type so I dont know if there is a back plate on it or not without taking the motherboard out plus I only have maybe 5-5 1/2 inches of clearance for the cover

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I was telling you if you can take your case side panel off...that's how you install a back plate for a CPU cooler. So if it doesn't you'll have to take your motherboard out to install/remove the new/old one.