NEED ANSWER QUICK- Craigslist good deal? $130 for 2 PSU, 2 desktop, 2 half working laptops

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Hi,
I was looking on craigslist for some parts, when I spotted this:
Computer Stuff For Sale ( AS IS ) .Left Over from Tenants from my building .Moving to Europe
1) 1000 W Power Supply : OCZ Elitexstream OCZ1000EXS 1000W 1KW ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black /more about here :http://www.ncix.com/detail/ocz-elitexstream-ocz1000exs-1000w-1kw-a0-29824.htm /
2) Another 600 w Power Supply : COOLMAX CXI-600B 600W ATX12V ATX 12V v2.2 SLI Certified / CrossFire Ready and Compatible with Core i3/i5/i7 Power Supply / more about here : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159055
3) And 2 Dell core 2 Duo laptops / white one working Fine ,only need new Keyboard . Second Blue ,also working fine ,need new screen . Both coming with Power adapters .2 GB memory .no HD / and 2 Towers .one Is HP . another custom built ,both in good working condition ,with all parts inside ,you need just put all together and install OS / Both is Intel 3GHZ CPU 775 Socket . Selling all together .no separate sale ..
/all parts clean ,dust free '--
4) And + Box Full of another parts /Video Card / Fast sale $130 OBO

Only edited out a smiley that automatically appeared, but otherwise I just copy and pasted the original.
I thought the 1000w PSU and laptops are truly worth the price.
I am planning to build (first time) a budget gaming computer, so I will need a PSU. Space is also kind of an issue, but I can sell/donate any big things after a while.
Is this a good deal?
Should I buy it?
WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE HELP BEFORE THE END OF TODAY!

Thank you so much!!!

Solution
not really.

the desktop are fairly old and almost ready to go in the can.

the laptops you also need to sink parts into them and a screen is not cheap. c2d is also not recent hardware and is almost ready for the bucket also.

the coolmax psu is junk.

the ocz power supply is the only thing fairly decent but you would have to double check if it would work for you. however, if its used then its not worth all that much since you do not know for how long.

i would say avoid.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Do you think it's worth it even if one or two of the objects don't work (I have no way to test it and he seems quite rushed)

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Sometimes you can get really good deals on Craigslist. If I could guarantee that PSU was 100% working I would do it. But then again you stand the risk of it being that guy asking about water damage on a previous forum post.

Then again it could be an angry wife who's sick of the clutter and its all 100% working.

not really.

the desktop are fairly old and almost ready to go in the can.

the laptops you also need to sink parts into them and a screen is not cheap. c2d is also not recent hardware and is almost ready for the bucket also.

the coolmax psu is junk.

the ocz power supply is the only thing fairly decent but you would have to double check if it would work for you. however, if its used then its not worth all that much since you do not know for how long.

i would say avoid.

Solution

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

Sometimes you can get really good deals on Craigslist. If I could guarantee that PSU was 100% working I would do it. But then again you stand the risk of it being that guy asking about water damage on a previous forum post.

Then again it could be an angry wife who's sick of the clutter and its all 100% working.

Bring a paperclip at least?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y&feature=youtu.be

Use rubber gloves?

USAFRet

Titan
Laptops: At best, batteries no longer charge or work. Must be plugged in. There could be, of course, many other issues. How many times have they been dropped?
Desktops: Old 775 socket. Do you have a use for them?

OCZ PSU: Do you have a need for it?

COOLMAX PSU: I might trust it to supply power to a flashlight. Maybe.

Box o parts: Unknown.

What do you plan to do with all this crap?

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Will need a psu soon, as I'm building a very budget gaming pc soon (although as others said, it may not be fully working)
One of the laptops/desktops could be a good 2nd pc.
Desktops could be used in a test project and can be donated to Freegeek if not used/bad.
Box of parts, not very sure.
Possible uses.

the desktops are worthless to sell

the laptops are almost worthless to sell. you might get a seller if they worked perfect but you would need to sink at least $150 into them which is unrecoverable.

the coolmax psu is junk and is not worth buying and selling.

the only thing worth it is the ocz psu however you arent going to make the money you paid for everything on this item.

its only worthwhile if you have personal uses for some of the items.

USAFRet

Titan

Not even a little bit. If HE could sell it for more, he would.

"Second Blue ,also working fine ,need new screen"
How much can you sell a laptop with a broken screen for?

Old desktops with no OS, of unknown working condition? $10 each.

etc, etc, etc.
He is just cleaning his garage of useless crap. You will then have useless crap.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Thanks for all your help!!!
What would be a good price for used computer parts (for my future gaming pc).
Budget : not looking to spend over $450.
I can get monitor (actually hdmi tv) for $25-30.

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

Thats a new question ;)

Please choose a solution for the one you asked in this thread and ask the new question in a new thread.

that depends on what parts you were looking for. typically prices drop 15-20% every 6 months.

i would say try and find either an fx8320/fx8350 system on at least a 970 chipset motherboard with 2x4gb 1600 ram with a 500w psu. if you can get an i5 that would be even better. as for video cards.. the best you can afford, likely something like a 270x/gtx760 at minimum if you want fairly high graphics capability.

do some foot work and see whats available in that area

agreed.. once you do some footwork start a new thread in systems new builds for that.

fooball

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Ok thanks.
My 2nd thread, 2nd day on Toms Hardware. :eek:
I will

USAFRet

Titan

No, it seems over priced for what it is, I wouldn't do it, but I'm not you.