$1,000 AU gaming build, question about power supply and whether to overclock?

Puplefish

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Just want some feedback on the parts I'm looking at for this. This is my first build and I'm still pretty clueless. I want something for around $1,000 which I can build myself and will handle games for a few years to come.

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next month

Budget Range: $1,000 (Australian dollars, slightly less value than US $)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, graphic design, protools work

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/

Parts Preferences:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($229.00 @ PLE Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($245.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($128.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.21 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $1040.21

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would like a window to show off my first build

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My old PC is dead (I think I fried the CPU) and outdated by about 4 years.

Thanks to anyone replying, hope I've done this right. First time posting.

I have no idea if the parts I've chosen are good together. I've done some research and been reading reviews and stuff to pick those parts but still am kinda lost since this is my first build.
I wanna know if there's something else I should be getting instead or if these are compatible with each other etc.

Thanks again!

Puplefish

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

Would getting something overclockable like the i5-4670K (Seems like it's decent?) and keeping the Asrock motherboard be a viable idea? With a mind toward buying a liquid CPU cooler and overclocking sometime in the future? I wouldn't mind paying the extra $150 or so if it meant a little bit of extra future proofing. But would the gains had from purchasing a CPU that I could overclock and the Asrock motherboard be worth the extra $150 or is the difference so little that I'm just deluding myself?

Partpicker is estimating the wattage at 358w so I figure a 550w power supply would be enough with room to add on later maybe?

Sorry for the many questions, I really don't know that much about the difference between i5-4509 and i5-4670K or overclocking. The liquid coolers do look cool though which would add to the aesthetics of the build when added.

Also thanks for the reply and the advice so far!

numanator

Honorable
For a No Overclocking build, I would go for something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($259.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1046.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-20 08:56 EST+1000

Overclocking isn't really needed but it may help you keep the cpu useful for a year more down the line. The i5 processors are pretty powerful to begin with so I don't think you would have any problems with the non-k versions. If you want to overclock then the i5-4690k is the new one out and is supposed to be a better OC CPU than the i5 4670k, that along with a Z97 motherboard like the Asrock Extreme 4 would work well.

Puplefish

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Hey, just wanted to say thanks a lot for the help with my build, I've ordered my parts now and am eager to see how this goes!

I've used most of the parts suggested by numanator so cheers for that, really made everything much easier for me.