Black screen interrupts. Caused by out-dated video card?

ArtChee

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
I recently bought a video card (on sale) that had double my card's RAM. After using it I started having intermittent black screen interrupts. Screen goes black in the middle of whatever program. It will flicker the screen image, go black again, and -after 10 or 15 seconds- return to normal. On about every 5 occasions it will move all of the desktop icons off my 2nd monitor over to the primary monitor.

Can't up-date the card drivers, and it was made for WINDOWS XP.

This is VERY aggravating. I'm thinking about replacing the video card, BUT it COULD be something else.

ANY IDEAS?? anyone.

Dom_79

Distinguished
Sounds like it's having problems with the second monitor. Make sure the second monitor's plugs are securely placed and clean. Try using the second monitor as the primary (switch the plugs also). If the black screen issue remains but everything shifts to the other monitor, it's likely the monitor. If the issues is the same it's likely the video card.

What type of video card is it exactly? Most cards are not made for only one OS, or did you mean it's old enough that only XP was around when it was made? Either way check with the chipset manufacturer (NVidia or AMD) to see if there are driver updates available for that specific GPU (or at least more up to date than what you have)