Mac Mini or PC

LoneRangerS

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Now here's the dilemma, i can either get a Mac Mini and another monitor so i have two monitors set up on my desk, one for my PS4. OR i can spend the money on building a PC, now the PC is going to be more powerful than the mac, but i don't know if it will just be unnecessary for what i'm going to be using it for. I'd mainly be using it for general internet browsing, video streaming, minecraft stuff like that; now the PC build would be able to handle anything i threw at it, but would a i5 4GB Mac mini be able to run minecraft and general processing tasks well? I'd have no hesitation in building the PC, but it means i'd have to share one monitor between my PC and PS4...
So should i get a Mac Mini - Following Specs 2.5GHz model: http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/mac-mini
Or a PC with: i5 4670 and not sure on the Graphics card but most probably a gtx 660, and 8GB ram.
Now of course the PC is the most powerful, but should i get a mac with a monitor, or a PC and share the monitor between the PC and PS4?

Solution
I would definitely go for a PC, you could probably get a PC that would do everything you wanted and a second monitor. Even the cheapest Mac option will get you a PC that can run BF4 on good settings, yet the Mac doesn't even have a dedicated GPU. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/V27hFT This is much cheaper, and will still do anything you want it to do. That would give you plenty of money for a new monitor.

Hello man

Honorable

Look. 4GB of RAM is small by todays standards, but if you are just playing Minceraft and browsing the net it will be fine. For the price of the mini and new monitor, you would get a decent PC, but you would have to cut some corners.

KrazyMe

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Minecraft runs on smarthpones, you really don't need an overpriced mac for that ! Build yourself a PC with the new AMD AM1 processors (the quad core 2.0 ghz) and a GPU like the nvidia GT 650. I just did a build for $400.

But yes the Mac Mini with an i5 4670 would destroy Minecraft and probably anything else you throw at it... besides games like BF4 but hey, it's not on Mac...

Hello man

Honorable

Enter BOOTCAMP!!!!

I would definitely go for a PC, you could probably get a PC that would do everything you wanted and a second monitor. Even the cheapest Mac option will get you a PC that can run BF4 on good settings, yet the Mac doesn't even have a dedicated GPU. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/V27hFT This is much cheaper, and will still do anything you want it to do. That would give you plenty of money for a new monitor.

Solution

oxiide

Distinguished

Not nearly as many corners as had to be cut for Apple to build the Mac Mini. I absolutely cannot see any appeal to that whatsoever. Even for someone who is only using it for productivity/internet browsing, its still less for your money.

You don't have to go as far as the specs you listed unless you want a PC that's better than your PS4. But you could do way better than the Mac Mini with £500.