Need help choosing brand for motherboard and gpu

Which motherboard and gpu combo should I buy?

• MSI Z97m + MSI r9 280x gaming (TF)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASUS maximus vii gene +ASUS r9 280x directcu2/TOP

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Dman8846

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
To give you a rundown of my small issue: I am looking to buy a mATX Z97 motherboard and an amd R9 280X. Thats is set in stone. The part I need help with is which brand to buy them from.Now I have already narrowed the components to two companies but I just need help weighing out the pros and cons for them. Those two companies are ASUS and MSI.

With MSI (the cheaper option) I would be purchasing the MSI Z97m gaming board with the MSI r9 280x gaming(TF). The things I like about this is its affordability and extras that are really geared to gaming like its specialized usb ports and onboard audio.

With ASUS I would be purchasing the ASUS maximus VII gene and the ASUS R9 280X directcu2. What I like about this setup is that the Directcu2 has been a favorite for many fans of asus and neutral buyers which leads me to believe it is pretty reliable and can cool the card adequately.

I have the money to buy either one of these setups (Asus is the more priceier option and MSI being the more cost efficeit way to go) but I do not just want to waste money on the more expensive product just cause. So if you can, leave some replies saying which one you would pick and why(especially if you have had experiences with these products). Also leave a vote on the poll on your pick.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Would picking a cheaper option allow you to get something like the R9 290 or a better processor? Or is there a specific reason you are getting the 280X?

Could you also post your budget?

Dman8846

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I am glad you mentioned that.Sorry for not posting that the first time through. I am on a rather tight budget of 500-550 for my CPU and graphics card. I would mix and match to get the best price but I rather just stick with the same brand for the look of it.P.S. my processor is an I7-4770K and I am not planning to change that.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
At the risk of being belligerent, I suggest you spring for the 4690K instead of the 4770K (unless you already own the i7). As far as gaming is concerned, the 4690K/4670K equals the 4770K. If you're video editing/content creating then go for the 4790K (refresh of the 4770K with better TIM, lower temps higher potential overclocks).

I'll be back later for a motherboard recommendation, I don't have the time just yet.

Dman8846

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah I have the I7 already