Get Ready For an SSD Price War

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I am ready for a price war, Maybe if the prices drop enough I will upgrade my 128gb to a nice 500gb or something.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have 2x 120GB intel 520 series in RAID 0 for my boot drive and programs, then a 3TB drive for the user profiles and games. A price war for most users are useless because those that want a SSD already have an SSD. This will only benifit newcomers or those that brought into those 64GB SSD years ago and looking to upgrade.

Considering the failure rate I had with those at a shop I worked at, I wouldn't use it if it was free. Rather get a Intel or Samsung for quality over quantity.

I hope this does push SSDs to lower than $.50/GB. Right now HDDs are at around $0.07/GB or less. If we could get to at least $0.15/GB it would be so nice. I wouldn't mind paying $150 for a 1TB SSD.

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

You've seen high failure rates on that drive already? Didn't the Crucial MX100 only come out about a month ago (it's a replacement for the M500)? Do you mean you've seen many failures on Crucial brand SSDs in general?

I'd certainly agree with you that Intel and Samsung are safe choices for SSDs with regards to reliability. There are some others I'd consider, depending on reviews/price.

Lower the prices and keep them low! Not just for a month or two, either. I want much lower prices for those larger SSDs, too!

They've made a lot of money off of us with those inflated SSD prices for many years now, it's time they do us a favor and lower those prices!

Hell, let's not stop at just SSDs! Let's lower the prices of CPUs, GPUs. PSUs, RAM, Motherboards, Cases, Windows Operating systems and everything else that costs a testicle and big toe to own!

It's no mystery as to why pc component sells are down. EVERYTHING is too damn expensive!

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Lower the prices and keep them low! Not just for a month or two, either. I want much lower prices for those larger SSDs, too!

They've made a lot of money off of us with those inflated SSD prices for many years now, it's time they do us a favor and lower those prices!

Hell, let's not stop at just SSDs! Let's lower the prices of CPUs, GPUs. PSUs, RAM, Motherboards, Cases, Windows Operating systems and everything else that costs a testicle and big toe to own!

It's no mystery as to why pc component sells are down. EVERYTHING is too damn expensive!
Current generation hardware is, but a generation or two earlier is bargain bin cheap even if it's better than some of the current gen stuff value wise.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
...A price war for most users are useless because those that want a SSD already have an SSD. This will only benifit newcomers or those that brought into those 64GB SSD years ago and looking to upgrade.

Uhhh ya only it's not useless because that's most people...

G

ssd prices themselves are at an affordable level already, just take a look at crucial's mx100 drives. the problem i have is that laptop and especially ultrabook manufacturers still ask for an arm and a leg to upgrade their machines to the bigger drives. surface pro 3 costs about 500$ to go from 256 to 512gb, at apple it's almost the same, an asus zenbook with 512gb costs a fortune, too. going from 256 to 512 gb should cost 150 bucks max, no matter what form factor the drive is.

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I have 2x 120GB intel 520 series in RAID 0 for my boot drive and programs, then a 3TB drive for the user profiles and games. A price war for most users are useless because those that want a SSD already have an SSD. This will only benifit newcomers or those that brought into those 64GB SSD years ago and looking to upgrade.

You definitely speak for yourself there. I have a 256 GB SSD, but if I could afford 1 TB, I would get one. Heck, if I could afford a PB SSD (if such a thing existed), I would get one of those.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I can see it now: Customer complains that their new SSD just failed while installing windows to it

CSR: *Gasps* You tried to install an entire OS on the SSD!!?!?!, What year do you think this is?!!! 2013???, You best come to your senses and only use your 256GB SSD for saving 5-10 small text files at the most.

Customer: *cries* I want to go back to 2013 and get a good SSD :(

Anyway if SSD's get much worst than the 840 evo, then for many users, it will no longer become a feasible solution for high performance storage.

Yes I meant Crucial as a brand. Not as bad as OCZ was (we had about 12 of them have issues from complete failure to randomly dropping from the SATA controller in a batch) but still high enough for me to steer clear.

So far Intel and Samsung have reviewed very well but of course are normally higher price. That is pretty par for the course though when it comes to technology. I bought a Corsair AX860i because of my experience with Corsair products has been superb but it also reviewed so well it made it a great buy and has a nice 7 year warranty with it. Did I pay more? Yes but the last Corsair PSU I bought was a TX850 that lasted 5 years without any issues and is still good to this day.

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Thanks for clarifying jimmysmiity, and for passing on your first hand experience; it's always good to hear from people with extensive first hand experience of products.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Considering the failure rate I had with those at a shop I worked at, I wouldn't use it if it was free. Rather get a Intel or Samsung for quality over quantity.

I hope this does push SSDs to lower than $.50/GB. Right now HDDs are at around $0.07/GB or less. If we could get to at least $0.15/GB it would be so nice. I wouldn't mind paying $150 for a 1TB SSD.

You must be thinking of the M4 series. M500 and up have been pretty reliable.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I can see it now: Customer complains that their new SSD just failed while installing windows to it

CSR: *Gasps* You tried to install an entire OS on the SSD!!?!?!, What year do you think this is?!!! 2013???, You best come to your senses and only use your 256GB SSD for saving 5-10 small text files at the most.

Customer: *cries* I want to go back to 2013 and get a good SSD :(

Anyway if SSD's get much worst than the 840 evo, then for many users, it will no longer become a feasible solution for high performance storage.

+1 for recognizing 840 Evo's a complete garbage. I have two of them, and they do not function well in RAID at all.

Even their software encourages (guilts) you into over-provisioining , and well you end up with a 250GB drive, and 200GB usable space. I've not needed to overprovision any other SSD before.

I'm watching the enterprise drives' price-war , as they is where my money will go.

BlacksunKing

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
I have one of the first Crucial 128 6 gb/s drives quite a few years ago and it's still going strong. All companies have certain models that have problems occasionally. I've seen less with Crucial Samsung Corsair Asus and even had very good experience with Powercolor video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.